eVGA 9600 GT keeps crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

megat0on

i biult a new machine and my video keeps crashing , sometimes right away and sometimes after 5-10 minutes. and not the BSOD either its like i disconected my monitor completely form my card. ive already downloaded all the updated drivers for everything and it still crashes
im going nucking futs, hope i dont have to resort to going to the geek squad

specs:
PSU ultra xpro 600w +12v/ 36amp/ 432w
processor Q6600 core2 quad
MB XFX nForce 680i LT SLI
OS Vista Ultimate 64
RAM 4GB corsair
video card Evga 9600GT

thanks for the wonderful insight!
i was hoping for some tech info but you just come back as captian obvious, thx for nothing

Look, if the GPU is defective, all Geek Squad would do is replace it, and you can do that for cheaper. That is why nosebleedXD said try a different video card. It's not like we are going to tell you some miraculous fix you can do to fix a (most likely) defective card. I know you're probably annoyed by your problem, but refraining from being an *** can make everyone lives much, much easier.

thanks mopar man

so anyways...

it could not be just your vid card issue [you never know]

find a spare one or borrow a friends and see if that is the issue and see if the video display crashes still

if it doesn't then its your video card, evga offers a life time warranty i believe and if you registered your product within 30 days, your good to go, if not ....

so as i was saying, if the card does crash on you once more, then its possibly some other issue with your comp, possibly mobo or w.e

Is you video card's fan working properly? It could be a heat issue and heat will shut down a system quickly.

no its not a heat issue it will crash right after start up if i load and start up certin games, oh and yes all my fans are working

sorry for the shortnes nosebleed but its so frustrating , everyone is telling me it could be something differant PSU, card, MOBO, RAM ... and i dont have any way of switching anything out to check if it works in another system or vice versa

Does the computer continue to run after the monitor goes black again, or does it shut off completely as well? Does everything continue working after the monitor shuts off (i.e. fans, any LED lights, etc)?

I think this may be an issue with the new round of NVidia divers, lately ive seen a couple 9600gt crash threads, even my own has BSODed if i use the GPU folding at home and try to display work...

Boot into safe mode by pressing F8 during boot up, and install your favorite cleaner (CCcleaner, DriverCleaner...) and completly remove the NVidia drivers.

Reboot and install the previouse version, may help, assuming this really is a driver issue.

yes vader everything still runs, just not my video its like there is no connection between the monitor and the tower

Did it do this before you updated the drivers? If not, try rolling back your drivers. When the monitor shuts off immediately is this before or after POST?

Edit: It could be a bad DVI/VGA adapter, do you have any others you could try using?

its after post , sometimes i can run a game for a few minutes-a few hours buut as soon as i try to load wow it clips out after like 2 minutes of play EVERY SINGLE TIME so on that none, where is marry poppins when ya need her? LMAO

it did this before i updated the drives too

and i may have another DVI/VGA converter

yes i did but thing is i just did it last week and ive had the card bout a year, i thought id registered it then but apperantly not =(

im thinking its my PSU its only rated 432w at the 12v setting and not 600w like i thought it was thats just the total of accumulated watts

No, that power supply should be fine for that graphics card. I'm putting my money on either a defective video card or a bad motherboard. It really could be either. That's why it kind of sucks that you don't have another one to test it with.

I don't think so, other than testing another video card, or motherboard.

Have you tried resetting CMOS? I know that may seem like a long shot, but it can work miracles.

I would try that then.

Here are the steps to complete this.

1. On the motherboard there is a small watch battery. Remove this battery along with the power cable from the power supply. Hold down the power button to fully discharge the system. Wait 2-3 minutes then reinstall the battery and plug in your system. Your reset is now complete

2. Some motherboards have a 3 pin jumper by the battery. Lets say that the jumper is on pins 2 and 3. Remove the jumper while the machine is OFF and place onto pins 1 and 2. Power on your machine for a minute. (Note: Your system will not POST). Shutdown your machine and put the jumper back to pins 2 and 3. Your reset is now complete

This is a great troubleshooting step for those of you having POST issues or no POSTing at all. Like other troubleshooting steps, this will not always work but usually will depending on the problem.

LOl still haven't fixed, btw, if you can't get someones elses video card or w.e maybe you could try it on someone elses computer and see if the same problem occurs, if so, its the video card problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back