EVGA GTX 560 Ti 2 Win 2GB dual-GPU graphics card

red1776

I wonder if EVGA had the official 'okey-dokey' before pushing out this little gem. It handily bests the GTX 580 while sporting 2GB 's of memory.(only 1GB per GPU however). In many situations it will give the GTX 590 a run for its money...actually for about $200.00 less. At the same price as the average GTX 580, this card would seem to be ready to cannibalize sales of both the GTX 580, and 590 if it is made widely available. It's seemingly an odd move, but a tremendous card according to the folks over at PC Perspective

From PC Perspective:
01.jpg

the review can be had here at PC Perspective
:http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-560-Ti-2Win-2GB-Dual-GPU-Graphics-Card-Review

The card more than likely has Nvidia's stamp of approval since at the price point it equals enthusiast territory, and like the dual GTX 460 EVGA launched earlier, I think the card is neutered on being SLI'ed with another of it's kind ( strike one). Nice niche card but...
At $500+ it's also going up against EVGA's own GTX 560Ti DS (with similar cooling) that's clocked faster and would certainly have more OC headroom at the same price point (SLI) (strike two)
Like the dual-GTX460 (and the PowerColor dual HD 6870) I wouldn't think the card would see widespread release. It checks the same boxes as the conventional two card setup ( good price/ perf. relatively cool'n'quiet :) ..but is still saddled with the 1GB frame buffer and 256-bit bus that makes it less than suitable for Surround/ 3D/ 3D Surround (strike three).

I'm actually surprised that EVGA haven't launched a dual version of their GTX 580 Classified 3GB (just for PR's sake at least) and Nvidia probably would frown upon a GTX 570-2Win, but I'm also guessing that the PCB, extra memory and VRM's would make it prohibitively expensive in any case...so given that those two options are off the table, then a dual GTX 560Ti becomes the de facto choice I suppose.

Yeah it's definitely a 'max detail single monitor' (1080p) card. Not going very far @ 2560 or multi monitor.
Didn't you find specs/pics/story on a dual 570 prototype at one point from EVGA?

There was a prototype being shown off somewhere- and I do remember posting something about it...not sure where though...and just to make life interesting/infuriating, the ISP is on the fritz - down to dial-up speed ( couldn't get past PC Per's header before the work computer timed out -or the connection got severed)

Must...keep....chilly...for...the...sake...of...employee....relations

/on second thoughts f$#@ it ! I'm off to kick one of the menials with the iffy skill set

Must...keep....chilly...for...the...sake...of...employee....relations

/on second thoughts f$#@ it ! I'm off to kick one of the menials with the iffy skill set
:haha:

Gonna give the fellow that can't handle the X-50, the X-50? ROFL

They wouldn't know Wusthof Dreizack from a swizzle stick.

My knives are J.A.Henckels Five Star mainly, Global (veg and cold larder) and Victorinox (cheap but excellent fish knives). Steels are Friedrich D1ck*(conventional) and Global/WMF (ceramic/diamond)...none I'd risk damaging on my front of house staff. Waitresses are pretty easy to find...good knives, not so much.

/*damn censor 1 = i

I am looking at knives myself, is ceramic the way to go? or does it not matter for a rank amateur?

I am looking at knives myself, is ceramic the way to go? or does it not matter for a rank amateur?

You mean a ceramic steel - I should have elaborated - Ceramic/diamond steel should read sharpening steel ? Ceramic and diamond steels are for ice hardened (high carbon) steel knives (like my J.A.Henckels and Global). A regular steel isn't hard enough to use with ice hardened blades...conversely ceramic and diamond sharpeners chew through standard moly vanadium stainless knives like an angle-grinder through an aluminium beer can.

Rule of thumb is to just get knives that are comfortable for you. I prefer J.A.Henckels because the ergonomics and lightness lend themselves well to long continuous periods of usage -they also have excellent balance. Globals are also ice hardened -some people deride them because they seem showy, but their Japanese veggie knives and sashimi knives are first rate (laser sharpened- if you keep the edge keen they remain as sharp as surgical scalpels).
If you prefer some heft to a knife (esp. filleting and all purpose chefs/carving knives) then the Wusthof Trident range are good all-rounders (standard stainless steel)

Ice hardened knives tend to keep their edge longer, but if you let the blade dull too much it becomes a big job to bring back the edge using a ceramic whetstone or diamond block.

Hit you local commercial kitchen supply outfits and see what feels right. I wouldn't get carried away with buying a whole knife roll's worth of knives. A good multi-purpose knife like the Global GS-5 is incredibly versatile, along with a good quality cooks knife (8-10") will get you through most kitchen prep. If you do (or plan to do) a lot of sushi/sashimi then a good sashimi Yanagi or Tako would be a very good investment- I use the Global G-14. Because it's a sashimi knife it has one flat (very slightly concave) side and one bevelled edge side- which is the side shown in the pic.

You will notice the difference between a bog-standard knife and a good quality one. The craftmanship and design you should be able feel as soon as you use it.

You will notice the difference between a bog-standard knife and a good quality one. The craftmanship and design you should be able feel as soon as you use it.
I notice the need to feel like reposition my hand in a manner other than the handle is obviously designed for on the lesser knives.
I have noticed that the really good ones feel like they 'fall' through the work, or part it rather than cutting it...if that makes any sense.. It rather makes the cooking experience much more enjoyable. ...okay I'm strange:p:D

Back