EVGA's handy tool improves graphics card power cable management

Scorpus

Staff member

At Computex we often see a huge collection of expensive new hardware, such as Intel's $1,700 enthusiast CPU and Macbook competitors from Asus, but it can sometimes be the little tools and handy gadgets that interest the most.

EVGA, for example, is showing off a new tool for system builders that aims to improve graphics card power cable management. If you've ever built a PC with a modern graphics card inside, you'll know that the location of the PCIe power connectors along the top edge of the card can present interesting challenges for cable management, particularly if you want a really clean and attractive look.

This tool moves the PCIe power connectors to the bottom rear of the graphics card, allowing system builders to easily route the cables to the card over a much shorter distance. This creates a much cleaner look inside the case, and there's even a light-up EVGA logo on the tool to add some visual interest.

The downside to this little gadget is that it's specifically built to be used with EVGA graphics cards, as you might expect, so it's compatibility with cards from other vendors is limited. It's also not clear whether the tool will be bundled with certain graphics cards, or sold as a standalone product.

Image via Tom's Hardware

Permalink to story.

The downside to this little gadget is that it's specifically built to be used with EVGA graphics cards, as you might expect

Yes, I guess I would expect that. It might convince someone to buy from them in a market where there's not a lot of difference between manufacturers. But if they made it universal they could sell far more of them. And considering it's the only product like it - they could jack up the cost and make some good margins.

The downside to this little gadget is that it's specifically built to be used with EVGA graphics cards, as you might expect, so it's compatibility with cards from other vendors is limited. It's also not clear whether the tool will be bundled with certain graphics cards, or sold as a standalone product.
In that case they could move the power connector to that location on the card by default. There is no need in building adapters, unless of coarse they are nickle and dimeing the consumer.

In that case they could move the power connector to that location on the card by default. There is no need in building adapters, unless of coarse they are nickle and dimeing the consumer.

They could put the connector there, but it was moved to the top so that people with short or SFF cases could fit the card in

They could put the connector there, but it was moved to the top so that people with short or SFF cases could fit the card in
SFF would be the special case where a special card would be needed. Such is the case with Half height cards. Maybe the special cases should be the ones require adapters. ATX design specifications would accommodate for the power plug to be put anywhere. Here you are saying a card that is used in an ATX case is also restrained by SFF. Why the **** are we still using ATX then?

The connectors are where they are for a reason: people with small cases. nVidia and AMD both picked those spots for their power connections with good reason. If their board partners wanted to relocate them, they could - but it would take a lot of re-routing work and engineering to do so. Then they would have a card that would only work with those who had the right cases (which is, admittedly, probably a majority). Makes more sense for them to just release a 'universal' card, and then this rigid extension.

My guess is you'll see a bunch of copy-cat products in a month or two, and those ones will probably be more generalized.

It's a niche market item at best, and being only applicable to EVGA cards makes it even more niche, personally I would feel this being a huge pain in the rear when unplugging the power wires from the video card for a couple of reason.

The first being the biggest pain in the ***, I have a drive cage more or less in the way, and this is standard in all the cases I own, having the power connectors located that close to the motherboard tray would not be beneficial, more so would it be a pain in my SFF case that I swap my 970 into on occasion when I go to LANs.

Second problem being you have to sometimes pull kind of hard to get the plugs out of you card, that would be leveraging off the card attached solely to the PCIE power ports on the GPU, it would ideally need to be anchored at the motherboard side of the card to prevent potentially tearing off the PCIE power ports, and again doing this in a space I can hardly fit my hand does not sound terribly appealing.

Lastly, this isn't so much a problem, but price, cost, etc, if EVGA really wanted to make this appealing they should just include it with their GPUs when you buy them, it only works with their GPUs anyway and other vendors are likely to follow suit if this thing catches on, at which point if it is a freebie accessory then all the brands would do the same and voila, everyone is happy, they don't need to re-engineer their PCB layout or have multiple skews, and those who can use it/want to use it can, those who can't use it don't have to.

The PCIE power connectors are in a perfectly acceptable place, if this does not catch on, you always have the option of sleeving your wires or buying sleeved extensions to make up for it, probably a cheaper option than this accessory anyways. Maybe in another 5 years when SSDs have completely taken over the market and the need for a drive cage is no longer need in the front of a computer case they will relocate the PCIE power connector to the front of the card as it was many many years ago, but to my knowledge they moved it for a very good reason and don't see them changing that anytime soon, sorry Clifford.

It's a niche market item at best, and being only applicable to EVGA cards makes it even more niche, personally I would feel this being a huge pain in the rear when unplugging the power wires from the video card for a couple of reason.

The first being the biggest pain in the ***, I have a drive cage more or less in the way, and this is standard in all the cases I own, having the power connectors located that close to the motherboard tray would not be beneficial, more so would it be a pain in my SFF case that I swap my 970 into on occasion when I go to LANs.

Second problem being you have to sometimes pull kind of hard to get the plugs out of you card, that would be leveraging off the card attached solely to the PCIE power ports on the GPU, it would ideally need to be anchored at the motherboard side of the card to prevent potentially tearing off the PCIE power ports, and again doing this in a space I can hardly fit my hand does not sound terribly appealing.

Lastly, this isn't so much a problem, but price, cost, etc, if EVGA really wanted to make this appealing they should just include it with their GPUs when you buy them, it only works with their GPUs anyway and other vendors are likely to follow suit if this thing catches on, at which point if it is a freebie accessory then all the brands would do the same and voila, everyone is happy, they don't need to re-engineer their PCB layout or have multiple skews, and those who can use it/want to use it can, those who can't use it don't have to.

The PCIE power connectors are in a perfectly acceptable place, if this does not catch on, you always have the option of sleeving your wires or buying sleeved extensions to make up for it, probably a cheaper option than this accessory anyways. Maybe in another 5 years when SSDs have completely taken over the market and the need for a drive cage is no longer need in the front of a computer case they will relocate the PCIE power connector to the front of the card as it was many many years ago, but to my knowledge they moved it for a very good reason and don't see them changing that anytime soon, sorry Clifford.
Weird comment, reading that you'd think that all card manufacturers were planning on moving their connectors to the rear of their cards. But your point that EVGA should be including it as an option with their cards is a good one.

Weird comment, reading that you'd think that all card manufacturers were planning on moving their connectors to the rear of their cards. But your point that EVGA should be including it as an option with their cards is a good one.

Not at all, I was trying to explain why they will never move that connector, or at least why they should not be moving it as the new default location. Include this port adapter thing in the box, solves the problem easily compared to re-engineering the PCB and such to accommodate the few people that want the power connector there.

The downside to this little gadget is that it's specifically built to be used with EVGA graphics cards, as you might expect

I dig, look and wait specifically for them anyhow as I'm tired of dealing with quality differences from the others anymore. All I buy anymore is EVGA GPUs the last few iterations. To me, the added cost is minimal anyhow.

But, they developed the adapter for their cards, why should it work anywhere else? Let each one make their own... Or not at all. Noone else yet seemed to think it necessary to bother with... yet...

I dig, look and wait specifically for them anyhow as I'm tired of dealing with quality differences from the others anymore. All I buy anymore is EVGA GPUs the last few iterations. To me, the added cost is minimal anyhow.

Have you never used a DCII from Asus?

Ironically, the very few SFF cases I know of where length is an issue were most damaged by this new design. Cases like the BK 623 dont have the room for a top mounted PSU cable, rendering those cases useless for anything other than the lowest end cards.

I think they should make the connector rest deeper into the PCB, more towards the middle of the card (width wise)allowing a cable to either go out the back or the side, depending on the case. That way I dont need to un solder the PCIE connector on a 960 to make the PSU cable plug into it in small cases.

Have you never used a DCII from Asus?

Had 3 of them die on me a while ago. No thanks. And hind sight, 3 slots is just too much room for the ones I had... I hear the new ones aren't so thick but I'll pass and water-cool my EVGAs, thanks.

Had 3 of them die on me a while ago. No thanks. And hind sight, 3 slots is just too much room for the ones I had... I hear the new ones aren't so thick but I'll pass and water-cool my EVGAs, thanks.

Well if you're water cooling then Heatsink design is not an issue. Guess you had some seriously bad luck with your DCII cards, I've had mine (DCII Strix) for well over a year now and it's been holding up real good, makes no noise at all, double slot, not the older triple slot monsters. However I do have a friend with a 7950 DCII triple slot that's going strong for him, no issues whatsoever, calls it "Fatty Boom Boom" yet it has yet to actually go "Boom".

Back