Excuse Me! We do have legitimate Windows in our computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

compused

I received a reply from Kimsland on my CCleaner post, saying Techspots don't support anybody with illegal Windows. If you read my post thoroughly, you will note that we do have legitimate Windows in our computer.

In the past, when we had an illegal copy, every time we had an update, we would get a message saying that our Windows might not be genuine, so my partner purchased a legitimate copy from Microsoft and now we never get this message.

Maybe we should have made a backup of this download, but we didn't, and when we had to have a technician in to totally wipe our hard drive an because of a virus, we had to buy another copy of Windows and this copy is also legitimate.

So Techspots, please do not blacklist me just because you don't read my post properly!

Perhaps I misunderstood your other post but something doesn't seem right. Did you receive a Windows Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker when you bought your copy of Windows? If not, I think the problem is you only think you have a legitimate copy of Windows. The technician may have mislead you. You can't download a legitimate copy of Windows from the internet. It isn't sold that way, not legitimately. You would need a physical COA sticker with a product key on it that you stick on your PC and Microsoft does not sell them separately from the CDs.

With respect mailpup, that's not quite true mate.
If you get the message "Windows may not be genuine" you are given the option to purchase the legit key online from Microsoft and there is a download involved to complete the legitimisation.
Sounds to me like the op did this, then when their hdd was wiped so was all of their data, including downloaded keys and email confirmations (unless the tech could backup anything up). So they bought a new copy.
What the op should have done was contact MS with their details and had it reissued, as all they've done is reformat. They haven't changed any hardware, so it would have been fine.

ps...you can request a media disk (cd) to be posted out at an extra cost i believe.

why not just download ubuntu and if you want then get a windows theme...ubuntu is faster, more stable and free

I was going by the OP's other post where he seemed to say the technician downloaded Windows itself from the internet and for only £12. That didn't seem right but if I'm wrong, thanks for the correction. :)

?? :confused:

Um I'm with mailpup on this one

Seems to me the thread was closed legitimately, don't you think?

By the way, this is where you go to validate your product key:
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate/ValidateNow.aspx?displaylang=en

This tool allows you to legally update your key:
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx

Maybe compused, you could clear this up a bit ;) £12 :D

Edit:
So Techspots, please do not blacklist me just because you don't read my post properly!
Thankfully I know what I'm doing, by the way ;)

You cannot download authentic Windows from the Internet. You possibly didn't know this :confused: Well now you do

It was a question of finding a quick solution at the time. My partner bought genuine Windows from Microsoft, downloaded it there and then but then also received a disk in the post a few days later. If it wasn't genuine, then it was very expensive because my partner paid £96 for it!

When we had to have our computer cleaned because of a virus, the technician asked us where our Windows disk was. My partner was at work so I phoned him and he couldn't remember what he had done with it. So the technician downloaded another copy of Windows to save time. I don't know whether this copy is genuine or not but I think it must be because we do not get any "your Windows may not be genuine" messages any more.

I keep all our other programme disks in a box together and I cannot understand why my partner chose to put the disk elsewhere.

All I can say is me and my big mouth because if I hadn't told you anything you would have none the wiser!

No that's not true.
You are best to tell the truth

I think I've worked out the issue. The tech shop did not "download" Windows (he wouldn't have anyway) And you can't "download" it from Microsoft either

What has happened is, the tech shop guy has possibly "copied" a legit Windows CD (sometimes people call this downloading) And used that CD to install Windows on your computer.

Therefore making your Windows version legitimate :grinthumb

It's resolved :)

Genuine Windows

I clicked on the thread that Kimsland put in her reply and all I got was "Thank you for confirming that your Windows is genuine." and the site listed a whole lot of other programmes I might want to download, such as Windows Driver.

So my copy does seem to be legitimate.

Once of these days I will come across the Windows disk that my partner has mislaid.

So may I please have some help regarding my other post regarding frozen screen or mouse with the logs after running your 8-step Virus/Spyware/Malware Removal Instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back