Experiencing a lot of BSODs: 0xD1 ; 0x50 ; 0xA ; 0x1E ; 1A

Charlie01

Hi everyone, so here is my problem: my girlfriend's laptop is driving me crazy since it won't stop BSODing. Actually (as you may see in the minidumps I attached) most of them are due to ntoskrnl.exe, but not all of them (intelppm.sys is also involved sometimes).

I tried my best for days now (and nights :(), browsing the net to find a solution, updating everything I could etc...but so far the only result is that...well I am totally lost.

Actually I did:
  • chkdsk = no error
  • memtest 86+ (17pass) = no error
  • reinstal windows = nothing has changed
  • use varied anti-virus/anti-malware = no infection found
  • downloaded whocrashed and microsoft's debugging tool, but honestly I can't understand what I read there

The laptop in question is a HP Pavilion DV6000 (1030ef):
C2D T6400
NVIDIA 9200M GS
4gb ram
Windows 7 ultimate (64bit)

Thanks in advance for your answers :)

Ps: since I'm not a native english speaker, please forgive me for the possible mistakes that may appear.

Attachments

• Minidimp.zip
    160.6 KB · Views: 1
Okay, this what we would like you to do. Find your memory sticks and remove just one. Then run the system. If you get stability let us know. If not then take the one stick out and replace it with the other one.

Agsin just run with one stick of RAM. What are the results?

Alright so i took a stick out as you advised, then turned the computer on and...BSOD 5sec after windows loaded (0xD1; driver irq not less or equal; caused by intelppm.sys).
I am currently testing the second mem stick, and so far nothing special happened^^ But it has been only a few minutes.
Do you recomand any particular test such as memtest or videogames?
I will let you know the results^^
Anyway thank you for your interest in my issue :)

Keep running that system with the stick that seems to be stable and do your normal things that you do on that system.

Are you still getting stability?

It has been more than an hour and a half now and still no BSOD, which is encouraging^^
But it seems to occur so randomly i think i should test it a bit more :eek:

If you are still getting stability then run memtest on that individual stick for a minimum of 7 Passes. If it passes then switch out the sticks and run memtest on the other stick.

What are the results?

Okay so i ran a 7 passes test on both sticks and the result is that none of them has provoked any error!
However, the difference is flagrant while running the system normaly, i mean that no BSOD appeared yet with the "good" stick plugged in, whereas the computer will crash 5-10 secs after windows loaded with the other one!
Do you have any idea? I am a bit confused there =)

As good as memtest is bad RAM has been known to, on occasion, pass.

However, it could also be a motherboard issue. The DV6000 series (as well as the DV9000) had serious issues with their motherboards failing due to heat issues. HP replaced thousands of those motherboards and it didn't matter if it had an Intel or AMD processor, though more failures seemed to have occured with AMD (these failures were in no way caused by the processor). It was due to the faulty Nvidia chipsets and lousy design warpingthe board.

Your laptop falls into both the series and years in which it was built. I speak from personal experinced concerning the major failure rate of these DV6000 series. I bought one (AMD) for my daughter for college and it is still working but things are starting to fail such as the wireless card. It's not the card. It's the motherboard.

What is keeping my daughter's going is a cooling pad. She graduates in May and as long as it lasts until then I'll feel we got our moneys worth.

A friend of her's who bought an Intel system DV6000 had serious issues within the first year. Even with a motherboard replacement it never worked right.

Do a search for DV6000 and you'll see what I mean.

Still no BSOD with the seemingly good memory stick, probably the answer was a ram issue, thanks a lot for your help Route44 :D

Actually i am a newcomer in the laptop world and for the past few days i learnt a lot, including that issue with the hp dv6 serie, but unfortunately the computer is no longer under guarantee :'(

In fact the temps were quite bad until i sprayed some air in the fan, but i'm afraid i will have to fully disassemble the computer to remove completely the dust and change the thermal paste!

Thank you again Route44, i guess i'll sleep well tonight ;p

Glad to help. :) Let us know how the repairs go. Make sure you get a cooling pad for any laptop and make sure it is not used on a bed or any other soft clothed material. Glass surfaces aren't good either.

* Keep us updated.

Reversal of situation ! =)
Just a few minutes ago, first bsod in hours:

On Wed 17/11/2010 23:49:07 your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

But still, the computer is much more stable than with the other mem stick, or than with both of them.
It almost made me cry :(
I will run a longer memtest tonight :s

Attachments

• 111710-18595-01.zip
    26.9 KB · Views: 1
The minidump only cited hardware as the cause but nothing more definitive.

Do you have a laptop cooling pad?

Unfortunately I don't own any :(
As for the temperatures, they are bad but well, at the meantime they seem quite normal for a dv6 I.e idle CPU 45°C and GPU 40°C.
I hope I will have time to clean it out this week end !

I also had an other blue screen, which identified an error a bit more precisely this time:
On Thu 18/11/2010 05:01:38 your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: tcpip.sys
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x484B64B8, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF88001A72B7D)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111810-15381-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
product: Système d’exploitation Microsoft® Windows®
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Pilote TCP/IP
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit is in another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

I checked and I have no process named tcpip.sys, it may not be linked anyway to a virus.

I will try to update/reinstal all the network devices drivers later!

Attachments

• 111810-15381-01.zip
    25.4 KB · Views: 0
Back