Extend Microsoft Office 2010's free trial period to 180 days

Jos

Staff

If you've been using the 30-day trial version of Microsoft Office 2010, here's a nice tip for you: the testing period can be extended for up to six months. Much like Windows, the popular productivity suite contains a so called rearm function that gives you 30 extra days to activate the program. The command can be used up to five times, and if used at the end of each 30-day grace period, you can run Office 2010 for up to 180 days without entering an activation key.

The procedure is rather simple, too -- just open a command prompt window as administrator and run a file named "ospprearm.exe" which should be located in %installdir%\%Program Files%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform, where %installdir% is "C:" on most machines and %Program Files% will be the Program Files (x86) folder If you installed the 32-bit edition of Office 2010 on a 64-bit operating system.

As an alternative to the above steps, there's also a free utility available here to extend your trial period with the click of a button. The rearm feature is aimed at enterprise administrators who use a single copy or image, to deploy a supported operating system and accompanying software on hundreds or thousands of PCs. Nevertheless, the "trick" has been widely publicized online to regular home users and Microsoft seems okay with it.

Permalink to story.

Now if they'd just do this for all future versions, and have a release cycle of about every 2.5 years :)

Yeah I hope its not the the Windows 7 RC one, it gave a pathetic error each time I did it and took every rearm with no result.

there never was a Windows 7 RC one
but there was a Windows 7 enterprise demo one
no wonder you got pathetic error

I hope they fixed the Outlook 2010 issue, that's why I don't use it. Gone back to Office 2007 Enterprise for now. Office 2010 64-bit is where I would like to be at. When it gets to the point for it to be released.

Why would anyone want this bloatware? I have legal copies of Office 2002 and 2007(only got 2007 because of the military discount) and I don't use 95% of the capibilities of either package. OpenOffice which is free will do everything I need my office productivity software to do and it's totally free. There is probally no one on this planet that needs to constantly update their Office software.

Presumably, one would only need to extend the trial period while waiting for their media-less license number to be shipped or emailed to them. This would enable them to continue to use their Offiec apps

Tried it, the problem is that i was told that my five times already USED! So it doesn't work.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/release-candidate.aspx
there you go

Did you resolve the "already done" message? I'm getting the same thing.

I'm still being told that my five times has already been used, although all I did today was to run (as admin) an MSDOS session and execute the OSPPREARM.EXE program. After that, I ran Word and saw that it still had only 1 day left! I tried running OSPPREARM.EXE again, but got errors.

Every time I run Office 2010 Trial Extender.exe, I get the "Office has already been rearmed 5 times. You cannot rearm it again.

I'm running the trial version of Office Professional 2010

Help!!!

Sorry, I was not logged in when I posted my last reply so it went in as a Guest reply.

I'm still getting the 'already rearmed 5 times' error (see the previous post by 'Guest')

Yay! I just did it and it worked. I couldn't run it from the command prompt but when I went to the actual file, it allowed me to run it as an administrator directly from that point.

:0)

Yeah, worked for me, although it didn't tell me it had. I reopened office and was presented with the same (register your copy) request as I saw first time round. :) thanks guys (and gals)

Why would anyone want this bloatware? I have legal copies of Office 2002 and 2007(only got 2007 because of the military discount) and I don't use 95% of the capibilities of either package. OpenOffice which is free will do everything I need my office productivity software to do and it's totally free. There is probally no one on this planet that needs to constantly update their Office software.

Perhaps because they might like polished software that loads quickly, with minimal fuss, and has rich features that aren't renamed to obscure things? Openoffice, and now, LibreOffice, are nice projects and good for folks who either prefer an open-source solution or only do 1-2 documents a week and can't justify spending the money... But for someone like say, a fiction writer, they might want something that is designed a little better for the end user as opposed to some anonymous developer's 'vision'.

Calling it bloatware is a bit of a stretch.

I'm currently in the process of writing a thesis, the university has very strict formatting rules. They also request it in .docx form for their review before being able to have it printed. Getting it completed would be impossible in OO or LO.

Thanks, this worked for me, and I got 60 days rather than a 30 days extension!

I understand what you are saying, however most of the colleges and online universities require the students to use MSoffice to turn in our assignments and papers. Often makes one wonder are they getting a cut of Microsofts sales due to them making it mandatory for us to use this product for school work.

Hey, I tried this but it doesnt work for me when I open the file...a black messagebox comes up within 2 second it closes...

;) :) :D (y) you've just saved all my life. well done, thanks a lot. ıt worked perfectly

I need help to extend my product, I have 1 day left. Can anyone help? I need the dumb down version, computers aren't my thing

Back