External GPU Testing: GTX 1080 in a Box + Core i7-8550U Ultraportable

Julio Franco

Staff member
I don't see how there's a "bright future" for this concept. For another $300-400 you could just get a legit gaming desktop with the same GPU but without the 40% performance handicap. Plus you'd still have your laptop as a second PC. What *does* have potential is a laptop with its usual internals behind the monitor (ala Surface and other hybrids) while a mid-range gaming GPU resides beneath the keyboard. I can't fathom why every manufacturer isn't making this a top priority.

I don't see how there's a "bright future" for this concept. For another $300-400 you could just get a legit gaming desktop with the same GPU but without the 40% performance handicap. Plus you'd still have your laptop as a second PC. What *does* have potential is a laptop with its usual internals behind the monitor (ala Surface and other hybrids) while a mid-range gaming GPU resides beneath the keyboard. I can't fathom why every manufacturer isn't making this a top priority.
For the exact same reason? Putting a GPU in the keyboard is EXPENSIVE (in case you havent noticed, the surface book is quite pricey). Why would I spend that much for a gaming keyboard when for $300-400 more I can get a full gaming desktop? Furthermore, why would I want a machine with the internals in the display, making the laptop top heavy and very difficult to repair, as well as having poor battery life due to limited space?

Seems pretty obvious why nobody is doing that.

I don't see how there's a "bright future" for this concept. For another $300-400 you could just get a legit gaming desktop with the same GPU but without the 40% performance handicap.

Key word here is 'desktop.' If you're buying a laptop, it's because you don't want a desktop. Having the option to keep a well-equipped slim laptop gaming capable via an external GPU means the laptop has a longer practical lifespan, bottlenecked at that point only by the CPU...which haven't had too many aging problems over the past 8 years.*

*Bottom tier chips notwithstanding.

Based on hours of testing done on the eGPU.io forums, it would appear that cards based on the GP104 or GP102 GPUs are bottlenecked by Thunderbolt 3's 32 Gb/s of bandwidth. They simply produce too much data for the x4 PCIe lanes to handle, and thats why we see framerate issues with these big cards. For less powerful cards, this is nowhere near as glaring of an issue, but in today's graphics card Market I can see why you would be frustrated by the less-than-perfect performance of these eGPU systems.

All I can say is that this concept began on internet forums ages ago with hacked-together hardware and software. Only after Thunderbolt 3 released did mainstream component manufacturers begin to take notice. This will get better with time.

I love my gaming notebook but it's definitely not something light to just carry away. At one point I was looking into the Alienware 13 + a graphics amplifier, although now it should be much better with a 1060.

I need to clarify I'm being lazy here, but someone may have done the testing beforehand... How would the above fare versus an Alienware 13 i7-7700HQ, 16gb and GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5?

I don't see how there's a "bright future" for this concept.
I'm sorry to say my friend, you are very short sighted then. A couple of posters have said more than enough already.

This article is of particular interest to me. I currently have an Alienware 15 R3 (GTX 1060). While it is smaller than the previous Alienware 15 R2, it's still big and heavy. I'd much prefer a smaller ultraportable for light use and travel and simply plug into an eGPU for gaming and video editing. Thinking about getting a Razer Blade Stealth + Razer Core (or probably a cheaper eGPU case lol)

This article is of particular interest to me. I currently have an Alienware 15 R3 (GTX 1060). While it is smaller than the previous Alienware 15 R2, it's still big and heavy. I'd much prefer a smaller ultraportable for light use and travel and simply plug into an eGPU for gaming and video editing. Thinking about getting a Razer Blade Stealth + Razer Core (or probably a cheaper eGPU case lol)
If a GTX 1060 sufficed your need you should've gone with the A13 :p... I don't know about the power brick though. I have a A15R2 and the power brick itself adds like an additional 1 or 1 1/2 kilos into the equation.

Good thing our review of the latest Razer combo is coming in a few days :)

The e-gpu advances made possible by TB3 really helps ultrabooks get more value. There does not exist or ever existed a gaming laptop or 2-in-1 at less than 3lbs. This is the closest you'll get. Have lightweight machine for daily work, commute, etc. and dock into a e-gpu when you want to game at home when the day is done. This is a win-win. You pay for it as in lots of dollars to get 1 tier down gpu performance, but the fact that this option even exist is simple amazing. Would it be better if they provided an external PCI-E 16x interface? Certainly, but that option does not exist. This is as good as it gets.

This defeats the purpose for Ultrabook's reason for existence.

If need to hook up to a brick, better be comfy with a desktop, which can have better performance for the price. With the eGPU, you will be confined to a deskspace anyway.

If need portable gaming powerhouse, it makes more commonsense to get an actual gaming laptop. It's easier to carry that than the Ultrabook with another big brick to lug along.

It's just a fad that will fade away soon.

In today's world of saturation, anything out of ordinary raises a few curiosities, but once practicality sets in they just get back to the norm.

If need portable gaming powerhouse, it makes more commonsense to get an actual gaming laptop. It's easier to carry that than the Ultrabook with another big brick to lug along...

No one is lugging a big brick around all the time. Additionally people that want ultrabooks, 2-in-1s, don't even want to lug the extra one to three pounds in a gaming laptop, nor do they want the giant 14"-17" form factor. They need the portability when not gaming, and then they can dock in for maximized gaming performance at home.

I travel with the e-gpu, but it goes in checked luggage and stays at the hotel, or otherwise the e-gpu stays home. But my 2-in-1 at less than 3 pounds stays with me during the day, and rarely even needs to be recharged during the day. I don't want extra weight on me when I am not using it for gaming. And in the plane where space is premium, the 2-in-1 actually can be used without having to become a contortionist. Try using a 15" laptop in the cattle cart section, you will see that there is actually no comfortable way to use it.

It makes sense for traveling professionals that want one laptop that can go from work to play. The aesthetics of game laptops tend to be childish and don't go over well in an office environment.

It also helps in the situations where a gpu can help your work (ml training, simulation, cad etc). You can take the same machine to a meeting or client to take notes, plug in back at your desk to get serious work done. It won't replace a solidworks desktop setup, but it's more than capable.

Also, gaming laptops are heavy, especially for women. Lugging 20% of your bodyweight around to have a decently powerful laptop isnt a small ask. 20lbs of laptop inclusive of the brick is a substantial load when you weigh 100lbs, so it's particularly appealing to that market as well.

For the l33t gamer, the old way is fine. This is just the industry acknowledging there's underserved markets in the same space.

My first gaming laptop was an Evesham AMD 64 3000 machine with an 128 MB ATI 9600 AGP gpu, 512 Meg DDR ram and a pretty sweet 1400x1050 screen. By the end of its useful life it was permanently desk-based plugged into external drives, sound card and power point (battery life had degraded to less than UPS usefulness). An external GPU would have kept it going for a little longer (not an option back then).
I'd love the "take it with you" ultra light option with a dock to game (until 4k gaming on the move is a reality) - but still too many compromises.
Guess I can't complain too much as I have an Alienware desktop (1080Ti) and an Alienware laptop for when work takes me away from home.....

The problem is that as of now, you can purchase a desktop PC that is about the same price as this external thingy and get the same performance.... Which means you can have your ultraportable laptop and your gaming desktop without any need to plug anything in at home...

But as time goes on, this will change... I foresee a time when all of your "PC" needs will be in your smartphone (or whatever it's called in the future) and it wirelessly "docks" with any keyboard/mouse/monitor you have at home/office/etc...

Obviously still awhile away - but let's hope people buy these in droves to help make other companies believe it's a priority :)

The problem is that as of now, you can purchase a desktop PC that is about the same price as this external thingy and get the same performance....
Sure, but you will have everything fragmented and this gets pretty boring really fast. At one point I had this setup, once I could I invested in a single gaming laptop and haven't looked back since.

If I could have this + my work surface together (Or something on that light end) I would probably ditch my gaming laptop. Light gaming on the run and the proper stuff in your environment = awesome.

Flawed concept is flawed.
Dumb comment is dumb.

Next time try it with a 1050ti or 1060 3GB and look at a game that isn't ridiculously demanding. It will become much more sensical that way.

If it's not demanding, why the heck would I bother with an external GPU? The normal laptop is now sufficient....

No they are not sufficient. When you want a laptop that is actually portable you'll want something smaller and lighter than a 15 inch monster with fans. Those smaller and lighter laptops will only have an Intel HD 520 or 620 or 615 even. They're good for nothing like you can probably play GTA San Andreas but forget about GTA 4. Then for GTAV you'll need a proper pc or gaming laptop.

No they are not sufficient. When you want a laptop that is actually portable you'll want something smaller and lighter than a 15 inch monster with fans. Those smaller and lighter laptops will only have an Intel HD 520 or 620 or 615 even. They're good for nothing like you can probably play GTA San Andreas but forget about GTA 4. Then for GTAV you'll need a proper pc or gaming laptop.
There are plenty of portable laptops that are able to game on less demanding titles.... have you not read the reviews of them on this site? There are small laptops that can still have a discrete video card - just not a 1080/1070...

The point of this external rig - which is NOT portable - is to be able to play demanding titles that these laptops cannot play. When paying this much money on top of the cash you’ve already spent on a portable laptop, if you can’t play demanding titles, you’ve wasted your money!

Remember, you can buy a separate desktop for about the same price that plays demanding titles as well - why would I bother spending this cash just to play crappy titles?

I also have a MSI GS63VR, the thing is a 15" 3.96lb (just under 4 pound) i7 with GTX1060 built-in, but when I am traveling and want to game, I still need a mouse and keyboard to be brought along, those all end-up in checked luggage. It is too hard to play even something like overwatch with just the trackpad and I keep pressing the wrong keys on the laptop's built-in keyboard. So having an additional 1070 in an e-GPU at around 5 lbs added the checked luggage is not deal breaker. But I find I much rather have my less than 3lb 13" Lenovo Yoga 720 13 2-in-1 with me in my carry-on than the 15" MSI. The cattle cart section makes trying to use a 15" basically extremely uncomfortable to nearly impossible.

I also have a MSI GS63VR, the thing is a 15" 3.96lb (just under 4 pound) i7 with GTX1060 built-in, but when I am traveling and want to game, I still need a mouse and keyboard to be brought along, those all end-up in checked luggage. It is too hard to play even something like overwatch with just the trackpad and I keep pressing the wrong keys on the laptop's built-in keyboard. So having an additional 1070 in an e-GPU at around 5 lbs added the checked luggage is not deal breaker. But I find I much rather have my less than 3lb 13" Lenovo Yoga 720 13 2-in-1 with me in my carry-on than the 15" MSI. The cattle cart section makes trying to use a 15" basically extremely uncomfortable to nearly impossible.

Thank you thats what I meant.

Can you guys test out the gaming box 1070, with a 8th gen core i7 laptop. I'd love to see the results when it's not bottlenecked by the CPU.

Love it! Best of both worlds. And it will only get better. Never going back to huge 6lb+ laptops or 20th century style ginormous towers

Back