External Hard Drive has stopped working with windows

Hi everyone, was hoping I could get some help here. I'm a pretty advanced user, so I've already done the usual troubleshooting and everything, but my problem persists. I have a 1TB external Hard drive that I've been using for like 6 months, I've never had any problems with it until now. It suddenly decided to stop working on windows. I've tried it on around 7 different windows PCs and laptops, ranging from XP to windows 8.1, and it doesnt work on any of them. It does, however, work perfectly well on Ubuntu. This has led me to believe that there is either a windows-specific virus on it or something. I have opened it up and connect it via SATA cable as well, so its not the casing. When the hard drive is plugged in, the light is on, and a new drive (Local Disk E) shows, but it should be called Touro, and I can't do anything with the drive. if I click on it, windows explorer freezes. When I open Disk Management, it sticks on "Connecting to Virtual Disk...." something, but never ever loads, but the second I take the drive out it continues to load and works normally. I have scanned the entire drive (took a day) and found no threats, so I am completely stumped. Basically, I either need someone to tell me the exact problem and a way to fix it (without formatting my drive), or alternative ways around it.
Thanks in advance

You can use a free recovery tool - there's plenty out there - like Recuva to get your data back, then run the manufacturers Diagnostic on the drive. If it's only 6 months old, you can RMA it.

Back