Extremely slow startup, explorer.exe running slowly and crashing

mbrownell26

I went to my computer today, and it froze up. On attempt to open task manager, I got the blue screen and shut it down. When I started it up again, it took close to 45 minutes to an hour for it to start up fully. Explorer.exe brought up error messages constantly, then I also got a few from adobe, WerFault, and several AVG messages. Its finally up and running, and I was able to access the internet. I'm currently running a malware scan, but I doubt it will fix very much. I'm literally afraid to restart my computer again.

Ideas?
Thanks.

Yes, first as you state don't shut it down. Leaving it run won't hurt it, just shut off your monitor when you are finished for the evening.

Second, have you done any recent updating of drivers, etc.? If I read you correctly this is the first time this has happened, right?

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

My computer continues to tell me that I don't have permission to attach these files, although I am the owner and administrator. The only two files in that folder are:
051110-56597-01.dmp
110710-38532-01.dmp

I'm using 64-bit Windows 7. My computer just got the blue screen again so I had to shut it down. I turned it back on and all thats showing is my desktop and my desktop gadgets. The taskbar isn't there, and it wont do anything when I right click.

Also, it is saying that I, the administrator, have full control over all files. It also says that user Mary (also me, same account) has full control over all files. Still, it wont allow me to attach the files from the minidump folder.

R3estart the system and if it Blue Screens let Windows do the shutting down; don't do it manually. Often it will automatically restart; let it. Pay attention to any error code #. Here are two examples:

0x0000004E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

They will often write a driver out as well examples such as vsdatant.sys or sptd.sys, etc. There are literally 10s of thousands of varying drivers.

When I woke up this morning, the entire screen was blank except my desktop background. I'm hoping the taskbar comes back by the time I get home, so I can properly shut it down.

Okay.. It restarted itself today. Each time I turn it on, its does the same thing. It freezes up, and things disappear. Not sure what to do at this point. If you have anymore ideas, that'd be great. Thanks.

We're going to do a few basic but very essential diagnostic proceedures to see if any of them zero in on your problem.

The first is running Memtest on your RAM. This is totally safe and free. You'll need a blank CD. Please follow these steps as given:

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

*** Also, in your next post tell the manufacture of your harddrive. Examples: Seagate, Western Digital, Hitachi, Samsung, etc.

For the life of me, I cannot find my BIOS menu to get my computer to boot from CD. Usually I can access this menu without a problem, but now it seems like it doesn't exist anymore. Normally, there should be a message that says "Press ___ to access menu" but there isn't. There is only a message that says "Media Test: Failed" I did run the memory diagnostic that windows has, and it came up with no errors. I suppose I'll continue to restart and try other function buttons, however, I don't think its going to work.

Whjat happens when you boot-up and begin immediately pressing the Delete key? Or the Escape? Or the F4?

If I press any of those, there's a menu that says "start windows normally" or "Run memory diagnostics." I even looked up Asus boot sequences and followed the directions they provided, and it still didn't work.

Okay then let's try another basic yet essential diagnostic step. What is the make of your harddrive?

I can't even access my control panel to figure that out, and it doesn't say anywhere on the exterior. Let me boot in safe mode and look.

Okay, perhaps the following can work even if the CD drive isn't First Bootable in the BIOS.

On another system go to Seagate's website.

Find their free harddrive diagnostic utility called Seatools and burn it to a CD.

Place CD in system with issues drive and reboot.

Seatools will almost immediately engage and run the tests in this order: S.M.A.R.T., Short DST, and especially the Long DST.

* Get back to us with the results.

SMART Test: Passed
Short DST: Failed
Long DST: Failed
Short Generic: Failed
Long Generic: Failed

I'm going out on a whim and saying this is most likely a bad thing, so I'm going to boot my computer as few times as possible. I'm getting a new external for Christmas, so I want it to last until I will be able to transfer my files... unless there is a way to fix these errors?

Back up everything NOW either to flash drives or burned to a DVD/CDs. Do not wait for that external harddrive. Seriously, your harddrive can crash at any second and data recovery from a crashed harddrive is very expensive.

Back