Facebook chat will shortly disappear from mobile app

Scorpus

Staff member

Facebook intends to kill messaging from its main mobile application in the coming days, following through with the plans it laid out several months ago. If you want to continue chatting through Facebook, you'll need to download the company's standalone Messenger app.

Messaging through the main mobile application has been hardly fantastic for quite a while now, as Facebook hasn't maintained that section of their app particularly well. Installing Messenger will typically give you a much better experience using Facebook chat, including the ability to chat while in other apps through 'chat heads' and quick call functionality.

If you don't want to install Messenger, the Facebook app will continually notify you to download it over the next few days before it will disappear entirely. The changes will affect the iOS, Android and Windows Phone versions of the application.

Facebook says that the choice to split out messaging into a dedicated app is to "focus development efforts on making Messenger the best mobile messaging experience possible and avoid the confusion of having separate Facebook mobile messaging experiences."

Permalink to story.

3month to late... tons of people havent been able to use facebook app to message for ages we gotta bloat our phone, tablet & install more crap which gives us less functionality & more battery wastige thanks mark... thanks...

Lets hope facebook gets permanently disabled, dunno about you but if microsoft did what facebook is doing instead of 10 services we would have 2,000 services....

Already in effect in windows phone when using the facebook beta. you need to have the messenger installed in order to use the chat

Why it is so hard to do a simple, easy to use and low resources chat app?, it is only text and whatsapp makes it very easy.

FB has/had a chat app??? Well you learn something new everyday... The last I knew about them was that they'd just bought WhatsApp, the best chat app on the planet, I hope the don't succeed in dragging it through their butts as well.

So many 1/5 reviews in the market and the are still sticking to this. My last experience with the messaging app - I was not able to turn off chat permanently and also I was not able to uninstall primary facebook app. They are on par with google right now in making software more and more annoying and useless every day. I'm waiting for alternative.

Time for a new Facebook. I found out Facebook was using 53 percent of my battery. I have uninstalled it.

Nexus 4 users have only recently been able to use FB Chat app. It didn't work previously for a lot of people.

Back