Facebook connection error; "connection closed"

starchaser

Hi everyone, for some reason I cannot connect to facebook on chrome. It worked perfectly well yesterday, but now it says "this webpage is not available ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED". It also does not work on firefox; error message says "Secure Connection Failed. The connection to www.facebook.com was interrupted while the page was loading. -the page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified. -Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem." How should I fix this? Thank you!

P.S. the "-" are bullet points.

Connection Closed is created by the server under various conditions but your system is just fine and there's nothing you can do about it. The most likely issue was the server ran out of connections (ie was overloaded)

Let's find where your server is located. Get a command prompt and enter
tracert www.facebook.com >myFB.txt
WAIT for it to complete!
then follow with
notepad myFB.txt
copy it all and paste that into a follow-up

Thank you for your help! Here's everything on the notepad:

Tracing route to star.c10r.facebook.com [31.13.71.1]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms Wireless_Broadband_Router.home [192.168.1.1]
2 17 ms 12 ms 8 ms lo0-100.NYCMNY-VFTTP-352.verizon-gni.net [100.12.212.1]
3 12 ms 19 ms 6 ms T1-12-0-7.NYCMNY-LCR-22.verizon-gni.net [100.41.221.244]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 21 ms 32 ms 14 ms 0.ae4.GW9.EWR6.ALTER.NET [140.222.231.239]
7 17 ms 17 ms 28 ms Internet-gw.customer.alter.net [152.193.2.42]
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 14 ms 9 ms 9 ms edge-star-shv-01-lga1.facebook.com [31.13.71.1]

Trace complete.

Code:
# 7 -> Internet-gw.customer.alter.net [152.193.2.42]
is on Long Island
and your FB is serving New York - - HIGHLY possible that server is plainly overloaded and you may see this from time to time, any time. It will self-correct as soon as a few logout of FB.

I've been trying to log on to facebook all day and it displays the same error message. It only appears on my computer too; it worked just fine on my sister's. This is the first time this problem has appeared in my five years of facebook usage and it no longer "self-corrects". Unless there has been a sudden surge of facebook users over the last week (and never log out), I think it might be my network's problem instead. Any good ideas on how to fix that?

The tracert facebook.com should always get to the last system ...
Code:
Tracing route to star.c10r.facebook.com [31.13.71.1] ==>>
over a maximum of 30 hops:
1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms Wireless_Broadband_Router.home [192.168.1.1]
10 14 ms 9 ms 9 ms edge-star-shv-01-lga1.facebook.com [31.13.71.1] <<==
Trace complete.
empty your browser
  • cache
  • history
  • cookies
and try again

I tried that a few hours ago, but it still displays the same message after multiple attempts. I had even restarted my laptop, and it still doesn't work.

Unless other users connected to your router work when your pc will not, I doubt you can do anything. If they can connect and you can't then your pc has a real issue.

Well, my left hinge has been broken for a couple of days and I need to get it fixed. I really doubt they are correlated, but just in case, do hardware problems have anything to do with facebook problems? Also by the way do you know of any good repair shops that can get your laptop repaired within one day? I really need this laptop for research and there is no other device I can use. Thank you in advance!

As long as you can Google and chase links in the results, I would not worry about Facebook (unless you work for HS, CIA or the FBI). Access news.google.com and click on some of the links in those stories to prove you can access random site.
I suspect you will be just fine and you're running into your ISP accessing FB issues in New York.

As I am in Los Angeles, I have no idea of PC shops in your area, let alone a trusted / good one, sorry. Ask around to see what experiences others have had.

Yes, all the links work for me. I went to news.google.com and did not encounter a problem with any of them. I'm sorry I didn't know you were in L.A, and thanks for all the help! I guess all there is to do now is to wait it out.

Back