Facebook gives in, will soon add a "dislike" button

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Facebook is working on a feature that fans of the social networking site have been requesting for years: a “dislike” button. Founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg made the admission during a recent “town hall” meeting at its Menlo Park headquarters according to multiple reports.

The social networking giant has up to this point been reluctant to add a “dislike” button, and for good reason.

In case you haven’t noticed, the Internet isn’t a very friendly place. Don’t believe me? Visit YouTube or your favorite news site and skim through the comments section. Without fail, the discussion turns ugly almost immediately.

Services like Facebook are one of the few places to turn for kind, encouraging commentary. Sure, Facebook is full of people that dislike their “friends” and get annoyed at times by what they say but generally, it’s a much more positive atmosphere due largely to its intimate nature.

The traditional “like” button simply isn’t suitable for every status update. If your best friend’s mother dies, for example, do you “like” that update? Of course not, as that would imply you’re happy she’s gone. Scenarios such as this are where a “dislike” button would be desirable.

Zuckerberg said his team is close to unveiling the new feature and that it’s been surprisingly complicated to make an interaction that will be simple.

It’ll be interesting to see just how Facebook plans to walk that fine line between empathy and hate.

Permalink to story.

Straight positive feedback has always been a dumb concept. The evident complexity of a dislike button has me suspecting this won't be quite what people have been asking for. It'll be a sly function that reinforces (rather than refutes) the like button.

I have a feeling alot of unfriending is going to happen when people start using the dislike button lol. this is going to be pure gold. its so annoying to read people saying "they're having a horrible time" etc etc and people "like" it. like wtf kind of monster are you for "liking" someones misfortune lol.

This is my opinion.
  1. If you dislike continued postings to the point of not ignoring them any longer, why keep them visible on your wall?
  2. And if it is not on your wall why bother sharing your opinion if you dislike?
  3. Seriously if you dislike something so badly you just have to do something, leave a few words. Don't just click a damn button.

Sadly, there's the concept of the Silent Majority, which acquiesces to allowing the **** minority to appear to be the majority. Somewhere - - sometime, you have to standup for something.

my $0.02

This is my opinion.
  1. If you dislike continued postings to the point of not ignoring them any longer, why keep them visible on your wall?
  2. And if it is not on your wall why bother sharing your opinion if you dislike?
  3. Seriously if you dislike something so badly you just have to do something, leave a few words. Don't just click a damn button.

Dislike/down vote is far more efficient and effective than commenting in many situations. Not everything requires elaboration or is even benefited by it.

Id rather be able to dislike yahoo articles. The only time I glance at fb is if I am in a really long line.

Oh boy...this will be rich. Now the self centered *****s that just love to twitter, instagram, FB are going to be jumping off buildings, hanging themselves because they post something on FB, and everyone dislikes it, instead of not getting any likes. FB is a lot of self centered narcissistic people with little self esteem. I use it to keep in contact with family, friends, but some people just go NUTS when someone twitters, FB or other social media crap. "no one likes me"...get over yourself already...

This should help with the suicide rate of Facebook users.

Can we get a "Sarcastic Like" button too?! It'll make life so much better!

I imagine they will likely find a means, to hide that information from users in an obscure way. So we don't have a massive crisis, because people get like 50k+ dislikes on something.

"the Internet isn’t a very friendly place".
So when people say stupid or hateful things we should refute them.
Taking away freedom of speech for everyone is the coward's way out.

I dislike this article...

;-)

I got out of FB years ago when they changed their information sharing policies. No plans on going back so honestly I could care less. But I thought the above was cute.

Back