Facebook glitch temporarily breaks the web

Rick

TS Evangelist
Yesterday, an untold number of Internet surfers experienced a glitch which abruptly redirected them from the sanctuary of their favorite websites to a Facebook error page. Websites essentially taken down by this snafu included Hulu, Lifehacker, Washington Post, ESPN, CNN,...

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/51584-facebook-glitch-temporarily-breaks-the-web.html"]Read more[/newwindow]

G

Broke the web, huh? That's possibly the most ignorant sounding headline I've heard in a long time. Isn't this supposed to be a tech savvy publication?

jobeard

TS Ambassador
Btw:- the bug also highlights the risk of implementing a 3rd party script (aka login via your FB account) into your own website (this is a loss of control for the websites which were broken).

The same kind of thing has occurred (and will occur) for Cloud computing where one of the services gets broken (eg the AWS outages) which takes down something the user is attempting to use.

G

Well if you were logged into facebook lots of non-facebook web pages were broken so maybe they should have said it broke part of the web only for some people logged into facebook? It's a headline!

cliffordcooley

TS Redneck
Broke the web, huh? That's possibly the most ignorant sounding headline I've heard in a long time. Isn't this supposed to be a tech savvy publication?
It is possible to break a network without breaking all parts of the network or breaking it for everyone. So yes, I agree with the headline.

TJGeezer

TS Enthusiast
Facebook? You mean that place is still around? (he said hypocritically, all signed in at TS using that weird "F"-ish icon)

jonjonjon

TS Rookie
That's what happens when Facebook is integrated into very single web site. It's also the perfect example of why I use noscript with all Facebook urls listed as untrusted.