Facebook implements Shazam-style audio recognition to help create status updates

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Crafting a status update on Facebook is now a bit more in-depth thanks to a recent update. When using the latest version of Facebook for Android and iOS, the software can now automatically detect the song or television show you’re watching and add it to your status update if you’d like.

The new feature is called audio recognition and kicks in as soon as you start typing an update. You’ll be able to opt-in to it the first time via a new button in the status creation window – after that, it’ll be enabled by default.

facebook adds shazam-style audio recognition automatically tag posts

Whenever it’s in use and a match is found, a badge will appear over the Facebook feelings button. In real-world testing, the service was typically able to find a match within five seconds or so.

It’s similar in function to audio tagging services like Soundhound and Shazam which take about the same amount of time to locate a match. It is not clear at this hour how it’ll be able to handle things like bad cell phone reception and background noise. Furthermore, Facebook’s media catalog that it compares against is extremely small with only 160 TV channels and a few million songs on tap thus far.

It’s worth pointing out that Facebook created the technology for the feature completely in-house over the past year. Services like Shazam, meanwhile, employ a couple of hundred people and have spent years refining their technology.

Do you think this will be a feature that you will ever use?

Permalink to story.

Do you think this will be a feature that you will ever use?
Why would I use it? I don't have the app installed on my phone and if I sign into my FB account bi annually it's a lot. Some may think it's hip but I couldn't be bothered.

All I know FB wants my cell phone number, no way are they getting it.. As for this feature it will never be used by me..

Sounds like just another way nosey marky can invade (y)our privacy.
Whats next, detecting bedroom sounds & advertising them?:eek:

I'm not an avid poster to facebook as it is, due to what people may think. What would cross their minds when I do post something and they see "watching hannah montana" when my sister is watching it or something and it looks like I'm the one watching it??

Back