Facebook is eliminating chat from its main app, forces users to download Messenger app instead

Shawn Knight

Staff member

facebook forcing users download messenger ripping chat main apps messenger app chat

Facebook is becoming more focused than ever with its standalone app strategy. The social network has started notifying users that they’ll soon need to resort to using Facebook Messenger to send mobile messages as that functionality is being stripped from the main Facebook app for Android and iOS.

As TechCrunch points out, Facebook’s main app has always had a tab devoted to messaging. A few months ago, however, users that had both the main app and the standalone Facebook Messenger app noticed the messaging tab was replaced with a hotlink that would redirect users to the Messenger app.

This was pretty easy to get around – just uninstall Facebook Messenger and you could once again access the messaging feature in the main app. That workaround will soon no longer be an option.

The publication points out that some users in Europe are already getting notifications regarding the change. Users will reportedly have about two weeks to make the change and will receive multiple prompts until they download Messenger. Eventually, all Facebook users will forced to use Messenger for their Facebook chat needs – a move that will no doubt be less than desirable for some.

The shift in strategy shouldn’t be a surprise as CEO Mark Zuckerberg revealed it was coming during an interview in November. He said the reason for the change is that they found that having messaging capabilities as a second-class thing inside the Facebook app makes it so there’s more friction to replying to messages. As such, he said they’d rather have people be using a more focused experience for that.

Permalink to story.

Once again, I'd like to note that the Messenger app is pretty much unusable for most Nexus-device users. It doesn't let us log in. Work arounds to fix are long, annoying, and don't stick.

So why did facebook make 2 apps instead of 1? Wouldnt it make more sense to make it all into one reducing workload and making it more userfriendly????

So why did facebook make 2 apps instead of 1? Wouldnt it make more sense to make it all into one reducing workload and making it more userfriendly????
yea, this is incredibly annoying to me...I hate having more than one app open on my ipod at a time to begin with

Facebook Messenger works well in my Nexus 4. It was nice to be able to talk to almost anyone due to how open it was, this separation will cut off people who don't install the messenger (but use Facebook)

I don't like it. The FB app on my S4 is fantastic as is. On my 4th gen iPod Touch, it is painfully slow bouncing back and forth between the FB app and Messenger, sometimes with app crashes in between.
Yeah. It is annoying because I personally switched back from the Messenger app to the standalone app since I saw no need for it anymore, but now I have to switch back. So dumb. I would have just killed off the messenger app if I were FB. It makes no sense.

If only they would implement SMS/MMS-support and this would not be such a big thing for me. But leaving those important functions out - well thats just plain dumb I think.

It is to be expected of Facebook. They will change things to suit their own plan. There is a saying divide and conquer. Facebook will do this so that they can intrude a little more on your privacy.
The answer is never ever believe Mark Zuckerberg. Has never shown any integrity. "He speaks with a forked tongue," meaning he says one thing with other intentions, concealing the true intention. Every time Facebook is castigated for an issue such as privacy or malicious Facebook pages, they justify themselves and claim free speech as the overruling reasons. Any problem like this, does not work from the bottom of the organization up, it works from the head down. Problems are as a result of the head been corrupt, which works its way down to the bottom.

I already have to use messenger if I want to chat via my mobile. I tried to send a message two days ago via the mobile FB page but it insisted I install the messenger app to do this so I installed the app. Everything went along swimmingly until I was informed by my AV software it was very invasive and wanted permissions and control of things it doesn't need. Needless to say I quickly uninstalled it along with the mobile app. From now on if I want to send a message via FB I'll do it from my desktop. I shudder to think what they're doing with WhatsApp.

Right now if someone sends me a message on Facebook or posts on my wall or likes a post etc, my Facebook icon notifies me. Now I will have 2 different apps to notify me instead. Also I chat in the iPhone Facebook app while looking at news feeds. Looks like that is over and there will be a lot of double tapping the home button to return to the newsfeed between each message.Unless I am missing something, this doesn't appear to have been devised with the user in mind. They just made it worse.

I just downloaded it. Its a pile. Where I would chat occasionally to someone via Facebook messaging while browsing my newsfeed, thats gone now. Focused experience, my arse.

It is to be expected of Facebook. They will change things to suit their own plan. There is a saying divide and conquer. Facebook will do this so that they can intrude a little more on your privacy.
The answer is never ever believe Mark Zuckerberg. Has never shown any integrity. "He speaks with a forked tongue," meaning he says one thing with other intentions, concealing the true intention. Every time Facebook is castigated for an issue such as privacy or malicious Facebook pages, they justify themselves and claim free speech as the overruling reasons. Any problem like this, does not work from the bottom of the organization up, it works from the head down. Problems are as a result of the head been corrupt, which works its way down to the bottom.

I know you're a Guest and I'll probably never hear back from you, but I wanted to note that you've hit the mark here, and that is precisely why I deleted my Facebook account three years ago. Poof. Gone. Why support a company like that? That is, knowing its spotty history on privacy coupled with the fact that it's now a publicly traded company that is beholden to the wishes of shareholders who want to see at least 10% average annual ROI. So long as you and seemingly everyone else on the planet continues to support this unscrupulous cabal of an organization by using their products, you will continue to get the same craptastic results as you all willingly flush your privacy and expect me to do the same.

There is actually an insanely easy way to avoid downloading the new app (I've been doing it for months).

Use the Facebook app as you normally would. When you click on messages and it prompts you to download the app, click download (or go to App Store, I forget actual wording).

When the App Store opens, just close the App Store and return to Facebook. Your messages will be visible and usable.
You'll have to do this every few days but it beats using the new messages app.

Back