1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Facebook is hiring a team to design its own custom microchips

By Greg S
Apr 19, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. Lower dependence on competitors and control over suppliers provides a number of positive benefits. Following in the footsteps of Apple, Google, Samsung, and other major tech companies, Facebook is seeking to build a team to work on semiconductor design.

In an effort to reduce reliance on Intel and Qualcomm, Facebook has listed a job opening for a design engineer for an ASIC and FPGA design engineer. New chips could be used as hardware accelerators for artificial intelligence algorithms in data centers.

Application specific integrated circuits perform specialized tasks while also achieving significantly lower power consumption, all while offering massive performance benefits. Field programmable gate arrays offer low latency and the ability to be reconfigured for different tasks instead of having to replace an ASIC repeatedly.

In addition to AI applications, the listing mentions compression and video encoding. Given Facebook's massive amount of data, the social media giant could be exploring new ways to efficiently store its treasure trove of information.

There is also speculation that Facebook could be seeking to develop custom chips for its own hardware. The company is still working on a smart speaker as well as a virtual reality headset. Both products could benefit from chips custom made for their applications.

Regardless of the reasons for deciding to develop custom hardware, Facebook is clearly looking to become more independent of third-party suppliers. The ability to produce custom chips could be a long term strategy to increase efficiency and lower risk.

Permalink to story.

2. Correct headline: Facebook is hiring team to develop its own custom data scraping chip.

H3llion, psycros and RaXoR like this.
  3. OneSpeed

OneSpeed TS Evangelist Posts: 311   +124

Facebook will be hiring the Qualcomm folks.

4. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 2,624   +2,363

I literally posted yesterday on another site that this would happen before the year was out. Seems I underestimated their determination. I'll go ahead and drop a second prediction: we'll be seeing leaks about Facebook phones by Christmas. FB knows that OS-level privacy protections are going to be huge going forward. Zuck is going to try and get ahead of it and create chips that mine data at a lower level than any software can prevent...and he'll try to reinvent FB as a privacy-first company while he's doing it.

H3llion likes this.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...