Facebook is testing a quasi-Dislike button for messages

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Facebook is testing a new feature with a small subset of users that includes the closest thing yet to a true Dislike button.

Called Messenger Reactions, the experimental feature enables people to share an emoji that best represents their feelings on a particular message. When hovering over a message in a conversation, a user can select from a thumb-up (Like) emoji or a thumbs-down (Dislike) emoji as well as heart-eyes, lol, wow, sad and angry emoji.

A Facebook spokesperson confirmed the new feature with TechCrunch, noting that they’re always testing ways to make Messenger more fun and engaging.

Facebook users have long called for a Dislike button but thus far, the company has been reluctant to oblige (and rightfully so as adding a feature with such a negative connotation does little to foster a positive community). In the absence of a Dislike button, Facebook in late 2015 added Reactions – a set of emojis designed to express shock, love, laughter, happiness, sadness and anger.

Users have since sent more than 300 billion Reactions with the most popular one being love. They’re becoming so widespread and influential, in fact, that Facebook is now weighing Reactions a little more heavily than a standard Like when determine how interesting a post is and where it should rank in the News Feed, TechCrunch notes.

Permalink to story.

I hereby dub this fallacy, a Shawnism:

and rightfully so as adding a feature with such a negative connotation does little to foster a positive community

and rightfully so as adding a feature with such a negative connotation does little to foster a positive community

Are you arguing that a "Dislike Button" would add positivity to the community?

Are you arguing that a "Dislike Button" would add positivity to the community?

I am correctly pointing out that the inclusion of a negative feedback system doesn't undermine or complicate the creation of a positive community.

Facebook's reluctance to add such a system comes from marketing psychology. Theoretically, everything you post is liked. This makes people feel good, reinforcing whatever behavior is conveyed by the applicable content.

With negative feedback, behavior is more accurately evaluated and people respond accordingly. That is, they respond according to the feedback they receive.

Eliminating negative feedback means all behavior is rewarded and thus reinforced. This isn't a positive thing because it inherently encourages and rewards negative behavior.

For example, going back to PewDiePie, if someone says "Kill all Jews" on YouTube, the feedback system will correctly evaluate the statement as objectionable, with disproportionate down votes to up votes. However, saying the same thing on Facebook will generate thousands of likes far in excess of any disapproving comments (it's easier for a white supremacist or trolls to hit like than it is for anyone else to write a dissenting comment).

Replace "Kill all Jews" with any other negative content and you run into the same problem.

Facebook's policy merely creates the illusion of positivity. In essence, it's based on a lie. By definition, that's not conducive to a positive community. It is, however, adept marketing.

You should be thankful that there is no dislike button here lol

Facebook's policy merely creates the illusion of positivity. In essence, it's based on a lie. By definition, that's not conducive to a positive community. It is, however, adept marketing.
Nah I think that more than that, is for people not to feel overconscious about what they are posting, I couldn't care less but there are a lot of depressed people out there (Like a ton actually) that would get badly triggered with negativity even on their social networks.

"...rightfully so as adding a feature with such a negative connotation does little to foster a positive community" -- What a load of BS. God forbid we tailspin some snowflakes into their safe spaces because they can't handle truthful reactions to something stupid they post. Positive & constructive communication is a two-way, honest feedback system that questions, challenges, and even dislikes/disagrees with one's opinion.

Back