Facebook takes the 'news' out of News Feed, figuratively speaking

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: Facebook is formally doing away with its News Feed, and will instead refer to the content stream simply as the Feed. By removing “News” from the name, Meta is essentially distancing itself from the toxicity associated with misinformation and fake news. Sure, it’s just a simple name change, but now the company can say it’s just a Feed that has no direct relation to actual news, implied or otherwise.

When Facebook launched in 2004, it was essentially a directory of profile pages. Users would navigate from page to page to check out what was new on the Walls of their friends. Everything changed in September 2006 with the introduction of the News Feed, which created a centralized stream of content on each user’s homepage populated with updates from friends.

The change shook the community to the core, as suddenly, everything you did on the platform was front and center for all of your friends to see. Facebook rolled out additional privacy options to help control what users were sharing, and eventually, most warmed up to the News Feed.

Over the next several years as Facebook’s user base swelled beyond belief, the News Feed seemingly became less about sharing updates from friends and more about pushing agendas. The spread of misinformation became a huge pain point for Facebook, landing the company in hot water on more than one occasion.

Image credit Joshua Hoehne

Permalink to story.

What's so funny about Facebook is how you're allowed to do - only until you do what they don't want.

They have a "news feed" which would prompt you to share "news" that you want to share - but penalize you or harass you when you post news they don't like.

Whether it's Covid related or political...

I hate Fakebook.
I hate Zuckerberg.
I look forward to the day they are all gone.

Banned for being one of the first people to post inflation on Fakebook, article I posted was from Wall Street Journal.I lost count of being banned and a few friends were fact check or had COVID discussion banned.

It's funny how certain people or groups don't want others to know the truth.I don't pick sides I favor the side that is for the good for others, police, fire/rescue, military and hardworking honest folks that pay taxes and try to help others.It seems as I get older garbage protects garbage.

Back