Facebook taking forever to load

mcIrishgurl

I've been having issues lately with facebook taking long to completely load. once I'm on the site, I get what I call the wheel of death, and it just spins and spins and loads the page just bits at a time, if at all and does so extremely slow. I already tried ipconfig flush, release and renew but didn't seem to help. :(

Websites use the rotating wheel upload_2015-9-23_7-16-25.gif as a symbol to show that the page content is still being loaded from the web server. The browser will then hide this symbol when all the source is available in the browser, when it triggers the onLoad() event.

This is valuable when:
  1. the user's link to the site is slow
  2. the page content is coming from several locations, some of which are not reliable
Frequently, (2) is the cause.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I understand what the rotating wheel is, but I had not been having issues until just recently with it specifically on facebook. was hoping someone could suggest something to possibly speed the loading up or if there was something that could be slowing it down that would need to addressed. like I said before this, I was able to load it just fine, everything would just come up in a matter of seconds.but now it seems like it partially loads it and takes awhile to even do just that :(

Then you should be able to see that the wheel is telling you it is a slow webserver problem, not your pc. It may even be some other server than FB as content can be pulled from anywhere.
I've been having issues lately with facebook taking long to completely load.
So you can get directly to FB without the 'wheel'?
once I'm on the site, I get what I call the wheel of death,
and then going to your homepage or someone else's gives you the 'wheel'?

I can get to facebook but it just plain doesn't load up all the content on the page. I saw another post on this same problem and someone suggested some cleaning programs, so going to check some of that out and hope for the best.

I got almost the same thing. Happened all of a sudden today. Most of the time it is unable to load. When it does all I get is text from the homepage. Maybe they're having issues after yesterdays incident?

For what its worth, facebook has been down twice this past week, I know because it took me 30 minutes to post a picture. Be patient.

This is difficult to explain clearly but

A web page has a very technical format and anything that is not text has to be
represented in a manner that causes YOUR BROWSER to access it. For example,
pictures are represented in a tag
"img src=location ..."
The browser sees the img tag and then creates a connection to fetch the picture located
at the given location.

When everything is normal, it all happens quickly.
But consider, what happens when things are not normal?
* simple case, the picture is not found - -
* that's easy, quick and we get a 404-not found msg​
* another, the server at the location is overload
* the access just takes more time​
* the server is down
* the access stalls until it times out​
* a host between you and the server is down
* access stalls​

Now consider page where a whole raft of pictures required - - like facebook.
There's a long list of
  • "img src=locationA ..."
  • "img src=locationB ..."
  • "img src=locationC ..."
  • "img src=locationD ..."
  • "img src=locationE ..."

if the access to locationA stalls, then none of the others (b,c,d,e) get tried until 'a' times out.
Ok, we missed one, access B - - oops, it too stalls and times out,
one at a time until all have been tried.
So, if the browser timeout value is 10 seconds and there's 100 objects to be tried,
the delay will be 1000 seconds.

This gets more complicated when a server hosts ads from another ad server,
say the akamai cdn. Lots of webpage structure is offloaded from the original server and
the content pulled by your browser from the CDN. The consequence is long delays to the user
when server being accessed is in trouble.

You as a user will find this very frustrating and extremely difficult to diagnose.
Sorry, that's just the 'Internet of things'.

Back