Facebook wants to eliminate its reliance on Android by developing its own OS

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In a nutshell: What's better than an Oculus Quest that runs on the Android operating system? An Oculus Quest that doesn't run on Android OS. At least that is what Facebook thinks. It is planning to build an operating system from scratch and has employed a former Windows NT author to do it.

Facebook has hired Mark Lucovsky to build an original operating system to be used with its Android-dependent devices like the Oculus and planned AR glasses. Lucovsky is one of the original co-authors of Windows NT.

The move is to bring more control of its devices in-house. Having an independent OS will allow Facebook to make improvements when it sees fit rather than waiting around on Google to fix things.

Developing its own operating system will also increase the company’s trust that its hardware is not being hampered intentionally by its competitors.

“We really want to make sure the next generation has space for us,” Facebook’s Vice President of Hardware Andrew Bosworth told The Information. “We don’t think we can trust the marketplace or competitors to ensure that’s the case. And so we’re gonna do it ourselves.”

Facebook wants to start by tailoring the OS for operation on augmented reality glasses. The company told TechCrunch that it is not limiting its development to just Lucovsky’s work. The social media firm is looking into partnerships with other unnamed companies to further the development of its AR goals.

The company is poised to open a new 70,000sqft AR/VR office in Burlingame, CA, just north of its headquarters in Menlo Park. When the site becomes operational in the second half of 2020, it will staff around 4,000 employees to work on AR/VR prototypes and conduct testing.

The company did not mention a timeframe for when it expected to have an OS built.

Permalink to story.

I don't know if I'd want to use that.

The only thing keeping Facebook in Check - in my use - is Apple's dedication to privacy. Facebook would probably be uploading and downloading my entire Goddamn storage if they could, but Apple steps right in their way and ensures they can't - or that I know before they'd try.

I don't trust Android as much as Apple because the system's open so I refuse to use FB on any Android/ Chromebook I log into.

Smuckerberg will get nothing from me but off-color comments and reposted memes.

Laughable. They need to sort out facebooks dire video compression amongst many things before they even think about making an OS. Which I might add best come with some heavily discounted hardware if they expect anyone to actually use it.

Hold on a minute, do I detect the blame game shifting to Google as if all privacy or most of it is because of Google ? What ?

No one in their right mind will use that OS. A lot of people will actively fight against it. Best give up Zuck, you don't want to embarrass yourself any further...

I don't trust Android as much as Apple because the system's open
That is a flawed point of view. Android itself is very stable and secure. It's Google's own services that can sometimes be "iffy". But mostly it's the small fraction of third party apps that can be troublesome.

That is a flawed point of view. Android itself is very stable and secure. It's Google's own services that can sometimes be "iffy". But mostly it's the small fraction of third party apps that can be troublesome.

I've owned every iPhone since the original and I can count on 1 finger how many times I've had a virus or malware.

None.

The free market is always right.

I've owned every iPhone since the original and I can count on 1 finger how many times I've had a virus or malware.

None.
Interesting. So you can count on one finger the number zero? Let me guess, you learned common core math?
I've owned every version of Android, several times over, since release and I can not count how many times I've had a virus or malware because it's never happened. Of course, I'm careful like that and have a good computing ethic & methodology.

That's true.

Last edited:

None.

Apple LOVES uninformed and dedicated consumers like you. The only reason Apple has not had (many) more security breaches is because of it's lower market share. Apple, and anyone who has a proprietary system, are far more likely to experience major security breaches because they are limited to handfuls of people who can find and patch flaws. (Trust me, there are plenty of flaws.)

Android is open source, and there are scores of White-Hats that try to find flaws, and then work diligently to report them so they can be addressed. There are even more who work to address and resolve the problems. This is why most open source software (like Android / Linux) is much safer than proprietary software.

While problems may appear, they are either patched, or publicized so that users may take steps to mitigate their risk.

After owning an iPhone 4 and HATING it, I switched to Android. I love the OS, the availability of more and better software, and the wide choice of hardware. I will say that the Apple hardware is good quality, but I will not tolerate a company who insists upon being a nanny and limiting my hardware and software options so they can earn more money. This is what Zuckerburg wants for Facebook, too. It's all about CONTROL.

I have never had a virus or malware on my handheld Android devices either.

Back