Facebook won't load in any browser - all other sites work

I got a new (refurbished) laptop almost a month ago, and at first everything worked fine, but after a couple of weeks, some images started showing up as broken icons, particularly in Facebook. That went on for about a week, and then about a week ago Facebook stopped loading for me altogether. The top half of the page will load in plain text only, but none of the links work.

This laptop runs Windows XP, and I primarily use Chrome. All other websites are working.

I've been getting a Java security alert when I load a lot of pages, including but not confined to Facebook. I'm not sure if it's connected with the FB problem, but I included the error window the in the screenshot I'm posting with this thread. It says "Revocation information for the security certificate for this site is not available. Do you want to proceed?" I'm fairly sure I've been getting that prompt since I first got this laptop, back when Facebook was still loading correctly.

I've Googled this a bunch over the past week, and nothing I've found has worked. So far I've tried:

-Trying to load FB in Chrome, Mozilla Firefox & Internet Explorer
-Updating Windows, Chrome & Microsoft Security Essentials
-Virus scan (MSE)
-Disabling the firewall
-Clearing the cache/browsing history
-Googling Facebook and entering the website from there
-Http vs. Https

I'm all out of ideas. Could someone please help? Also, I have some knowledge of technical issues, but I'm not THAT good with this stuff, so please be gentle with the technical terms if possible, lol.

Attachments

• Facebook.JPG
    Facebook.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 5
(1) you don't need Java at all and would be well advised to uninstall it altogether.

What A/V product are you using and which firewall?

I pray you are NOT surfing the net from a login with Admin Rights!

run->CMD
enter
type \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
what do you get? SHOULD be one line like 127.0.0.1 Locahhost,
but do you have anything else besides comments?

Okay, thanks. I uninstalled Java.

I just use Microsoft Security Essentials, and run it every day or two.

I don't do a lot of surfing. I mainly just go to a few different sites, but I only have one login so I guess I am using one with Admin rights.

I tried the \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts thing, but it told me that it "is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

I did as you stated - and got 127.0.0.1 localhost and ::1 localhost. What is this ::1?

• 127.0.0.1 is the IPv4 network address
  • ::1 is the IPv6 address to the same box
and yes, one network adapter can have multiple addresses

Back