Fallout 76 might be getting loot boxes

Polycount

Staff

Fallout 76 isn't exactly Bethesda's most well-received RPG. Even if you've found enjoyment with the game, it's clear that many players have become frustrated with its buggy nature, and its general lack of polish.

However, one thing the game does have going for it is its straightforward, and purely-cosmetic microtransaction system. While the prices of some items are arguably a bit high, there is no randomness associated with the system. That means there aren't any loot boxes, and Bethesda has previously promised that they will never come to the game.

While that may still be the case, a recent article published by PC Gamer suggests Bethesda might be willing to go back on its word. As the outlet spotted, Fallout 76's latest patch changelog has made its way to Reddit, courtesy of user Despotak. The changelog is filled with language that refers to "lunch boxes," which appear to be items that "explode in a shower of confetti and balloons."

When opened, lunch boxes give users ranging from "party favours and gift bags" to gameplay-affecting buffs and bonuses.

At first, you might wonder what the problem is here. After all, lunch boxes might be something you simply earn in game, and never have to pay for. However, in many cases when the term "lunch box" shows up in the changelog, its accompanied by "ATX," which reportedly refers to the Atom Shop (Fallout 76's in-game microtransaction storefront).

Only time will tell how Fallout 76's lunch boxes work in practice, but given the less-than-ideal launch the game has experienced so far, many players are likely anticipating the worst.

Permalink to story.

Told you so. The real problem with "Games as a service" = the game you end up a couple of months post-launch isn't the one you were sold. It's no coincidence this stuff is deliberately delayed +30 days post-launch to put it outside the refund window of most early buyers and try and screw themselves out of distributors typical max 30 day refund policy....

I’ve not played Fallout76 but I’m guessing it’s not that great judging by how it’s been received. It makes me wonder, I don’t think I’ve seen a single player RPG become a good MMORPG before. Can anyone think of one?

I'm going to say they aren't going back on their word. No well respected company could be that stupid to do a complete 180 within a year or 2, and be that tone-deaf that they keep effing up on a single game (at least not without a management shakeup).

Of course if they do go back on what they said, I will stop caring immediately for their new games. Well, at least the whole "giving them money" part of it.

I’ve not played Fallout76 but I’m guessing it’s not that great judging by how it’s been received. It makes me wonder, I don’t think I’ve seen a single player RPG become a good MMORPG before. Can anyone think of one?

Not technically a single player RPG to start, but the closest comparison I have is World of Warcraft.

I'd hate to think this is true, but at the same time it's hard to doubt it, considering the judgement Bethesda has been displaying as of late...

They just keep giving me more and more reasons to never want anything to do with Fallout 76. Ugh.

Nothing like the devs to add loot box gambling and wallet-grabbing microtransactions after you buy the product. I would ask for an immediate refund if I had bought it. Much like how they jacked up Overwatch. Bait and switch. From and honest purchase switching to a Pay2Lose. DDO really got screwed up after they added the microtransaction store. "Having an issue in a dungeon? Give us money and we will help you cheat!"

Nothing like the devs to add loot box gambling and wallet-grabbing microtransactions after you buy the product. I would ask for an immediate refund if I had bought it. Much like how they jacked up Overwatch. Bait and switch. From and honest purchase switching to a Pay2Lose. DDO really got screwed up after they added the microtransaction store. "Having an issue in a dungeon? Give us money and we will help you cheat!"

Um, overwatch lootboxes are cosmetic only....

Not to mention, you earn 1 loot box for every level, 1 loot box every holiday, 1 loot box for every 3 arcade wins, and 1 lootbox for every daily game mode of the day. Not to mention free lootboxes for your endorsement level.

I've got over 14,000 credits on my account on Overwatch and I haven't dropped a dime on the game. I don't even play that much either.

Overwatch is an example of Lootboxes done right. You picked the absolute worst game to represent bad microtransactons.

This is fantastic news. Now I have another reason to not bother playing. Furthermore, this helps to piss away the last of the goodwill that Bethesda Slopworks had garnered over two decades. Great job Bethslop. We're proud of you.

I had friends who swore by how much fun they were having with Fallout 76. I wonder how their reactions will be when they start getting these damn loot boxes.

Gaming companies need to stop incorporating these into their games. EA already goes way too hard, and more are just going to follow suit. It's ridiculous and nobody gets excited when they hear there are going to be lootboxes in an upcoming game.

Not to mention, you earn 1 loot box for every level, 1 loot box every holiday, 1 loot box for every 3 arcade wins, and 1 lootbox for every daily game mode of the day. Not to mention free lootboxes for your endorsement level.

I've got over 14,000 credits on my account on Overwatch and I haven't dropped a dime on the game. I don't even play that much either.

Overwatch is an example of Lootboxes done right. You picked the absolute worst game to represent bad microtransactons.

Whether they are clothes for your doll or not doesn't matter to me. I guess what you deem as "right" is in each person's eyes. It's still gambling. For someone looking for a particular suit to put on, they must fork money into the slot machine and pull the handle - or grind away. Maybe the "worst" example in your eyes. Any example is bad. There wasn't crap like this before. The gaming industry is in a sad state.

Were you going to actually contribute to the conversation, or did you reply just to try to personally attack me? You have a track record of doing this.

Whether they are clothes for your doll or not doesn't matter to me. I guess what you deem as "right" is in each person's eyes. It's still gambling. For someone looking for a particular suit to put on, they must fork money into the slot machine and pull the handle - or grind away. Maybe the "worst" example in your eyes. Any example is bad. There wasn't crap like this before. The gaming industry is in a sad state.

Um, no they don't have to fork money over. As I explained in my previous post you do not have to spend a cent to get loot boxes. Please do not talk about Overwatch if you do not know how it works. I can understand you don't like micro-transactions but you are taking it out on the wrong game.

Were you going to actually contribute to the conversation, or did you reply just to try to personally attack me? You have a track record of doing this.

If you have an issue report it to the mods. My comments have been on topic and any authority on techspot will vindicate me.

Um, no they don't have to fork money over. As I explained in my previous post you do not have to spend a cent to get loot boxes. Please do not talk about Overwatch if you do not know how it works. I can understand you don't like micro-transactions but you are taking it out on the wrong game.
they must fork money into the slot machine and pull the handle - or grind away.
Reading is fun and informative

The way I see it, if you don’t like loot boxes then you need to focus your complaining at those who buy them. Because right now I’m struggling to see why a games company wouldn’t put them in a game. They make money and if a game is good enough they won’t deter everyone else from playing. These companies don’t care about the comments sections on tech forums. I don’t like loot boxes so I don’t buy them. I wish others didn’t either.

Oh and they certainly are not gambling. If they are then buying kinder eggs is technically gambling aswell. In both scenarios you lose your money every time and you get the same value reward everytime. So long as in game items cannot be exchanged for cash it’s not gambling.

If you have an issue report it to the mods. My comments have been on topic and any authority on techspot will vindicate me.

I typically don't go crying to authorities. It sounds like you do since you are telling me to. I am not one of those neighbors that call the police because someone parks their vehicle in the grass. I simply go talk to and meet them.

You follow me around from post to post. You specifically talk down on and target me. I don't know of anyone in real life that does this. This is disturbing behavior, and must be "comfortable" behind your keyboard. It's called stalking, trolling, and harassment. If you personally have a problem with me then I don't understand why you don't just block me. Have a nice day.

I typically don't go crying to authorities. It sounds like you do since you are telling me to. I am not one of those neighbors that call the police because someone parks their vehicle in the grass. I simply go talk to and meet them.

You follow me around from post to post. You specifically talk down on and target me. I don't know of anyone in real life that does this. This is disturbing behavior, and must be "comfortable" behind your keyboard. It's called stalking, trolling, and harassment. If you personally have a problem with me then I don't understand why you don't just block me. Have a nice day.

So the guy complaining about being personally attacked goes and personally attacks someone?

Please get back on topic. I don't care for misconceptions or assumptions.

So the guy complaining about being personally attacked goes and personally attacks someone?

Please get back on topic. I don't care for misconceptions or assumptions.

I'm sorry, did you say something? I can't hear you behind the door. Don't like it back, do you? By the way, I am explaining your behavior since you aren't see it. Not attacking - I am calling you out for what you are doing. Move along. If you don't like something you don't have to respond with your hate. Put your big boy pants on. You are the one that changed it to this "topic". Take care.

If you entice customers to pluck money into the slot machine and pull the lever to open loot boxes, that is gambling. Hook them in with some free ones. Apparently large portions of the world (whole countries) agree and are having to step in and regulate the gaming industry.

Evernessince and ShagnWagn, I think that's enough personal comments for this thread. If you feel the need, please carry on your personal conversation through PM. Thank you.

Back