Fan TV support coming to Time Warner Cable this quarter for $99

Shawn Knight

Staff member

fan time warner cable fan tv

The times, they are a-changin’. Fan TV has reached an agreement with Time Warner that will allow cable subscribers to forego the provider’s bulky set-top box in favor of Fan TV’s streaming solution. But before you gather up your Time Warner gear to drop it off at the local branch, there are a few things you should be aware of.

It’s not a total set-top box replacement per se as the Fan TV box can only access content from Time Warner's mobile app. What’s more, the device doesn’t have traditional DVR capabilities so you’ll be unable to record shows for playback at a later date. It does, however, allow users to pause live television using 4GB of built-in memory as a buffer.

The box will support a variety of streaming services including Redbox Instant, Crackle and Target Ticket although big names like Netflix and Hulu+ won’t be supported – at least not at launch.

If that weren’t enough, the box will set you back $99. So, what’s to like?

The box, designed by Yves Behar, offers universal search functionality across live and on-demand programming as well as select streaming service providers. It ships with a unique remote control that functions more like a touchpad than a traditional controller with buttons. And according to at least one publication that spent some time with the box nearly a year ago, it features a beautiful and intuitive user interface.

Even still, is that enough to overlook what can only been seen as multiple, major shortcomings?

Permalink to story.

How about we eliminate all the BS channels, reducing the number by 90% and then lowering the price by 50%. It is a win win scenario for everyone. Well it's a win for everyone except those who make BS shows no one wants to watch. I can't for the life of me figure out why we allow such BS in broadcasting packages.

This box could be very interesting. The one thing that you need to consider about the HD and HD-DVR boxes that TWC have are garbage. There is an issue with it you bring it back or ship it back...then 9 times out of 10 it gets wiped and reshipped without addressing the issues. I know a couple folks that work at TWC. They say that customers most times have no idea what they are talking about when they say a box is "defective".

I am a very tech savy guy. I would daresay that I am close to expert level. I have their silly bundle that I do because it is the most cost effective where I live. My bundle includes 1 HD-DVR box. I have had 3 of them over the last 2 years and still DVR functionality is garbage which leads to the service itself. Shows not recording, shows recording but disappearing a couple days later, deleted shows showing back up randomly. I have gone so long without DVR I honestly could care less about it. There are SO MANY ways to consume media today it is stupid. I honestly only watch the cable that I do have when I am bored or the HBO/Cinemax offerings since they come commercial free (free part of my bundle due to so many service issues).

I wouldn't mind paying 99 bucks for a box if it actually works. Heck, I have 2 WDTV boxes and an Xtreamer Pro in my home along with a 16TB media server. Also, really who cares if the thing doesn't have Netflix or Hulu? If you are willing to deal with their flaws then you have to already have them on some other box to include possibly a SmartTV.

I live in an area where TW is the ONLY cable provider. I also have a similar technical skill to yours, and I know one thing very well - that TW are a bunch of thugs. They slammed my 89-year old mother onto their phone service after "casing" the house on a service call about poor picture quality. When I called up to complain to the customer service team, I was put on with a "manager." In the process of slamming their phone service on my mother, they removed phone wires that I had installed myself. I was told by the "manager," and I quote verbatim what he said, "We don''t make mistakes." Then he said, "Everything I am telling you is supposed to make you calm down, but you are getting more agitated."

Several years ago, due to a TW "upgrade" of their mail servers, I was unable to receive e-mail. I was told by an insider that TW had an internal trouble ticket written on the matter, but when I called to complain about the problem, the TW rep blamed my setup - which had nothing wrong with it.

I have even had TW CS reps try to sell me more service when I was on the phone with the complaining about their service in the first place. The conversation was something like "I have bad service." TW Rep - "Great! Are you interested in buying more service?"

But like you, I have internet service through TW - 15Mb/s for $34.99/mo.

My experience has been that if you are not technically very savvy when dealing with TW in my area, they will try to sell you all kinds of garbage that you do not need. The latest instance - selling my brother 50 Mbit internet service because he could not get HD video on a 12-year old computer. WTF??

I've recently dropped Dish in favor of a HTPC, and I will not go back.

From what you describe about their DVR, it just makes me think that TW is a company run by thugs who could care less about the quality of their products. The only thing that they care about is that siphon that is in your pocket and draining your wallet into their bank account.

We have a small ISP locally who is laying Gb fiber. When it comes to my neighborhood, I'm telling TW to take their service and shove it.

Back on topic - this sounds like the latest ploy by TW to offer something useful that is really useless. One day, if more people like me drop service like I did, TW and other providers just might get that what they offer is not worth the price.

Back