Fans come on but no display on monitor

whoa2490

i just rebuilt my computer and everything was working, then we had a really bad storm and now it doesnt work. my case and my cpu come on but and it feels like my hard drive is spinning. but when whe i press the button to turn it on both fans will spin for lke 1 sec then stop the ill hit he button again and it will keep doing it, i think its my power supply that got fried during the storm. and if it is my power supply would anything else be ruined?

Desktop or laptop. What is your brand and model.
Could be power supply, memory module, hard drive, or video graphics card that was damaged. But a power supply fan blade that turns three turns or less is usually the bad guy.

Since you know enough to rebuild one, why not start with a basic setup... one memory module, hard drive, and video card... then start switching out components until you narrow it down. You can borrow a power supply from any old computer enough to test your system.

We are not going to be a lot of help here until you test your machine with a different power supply... and for testing any old power supply will be fine. There are power supply testers if you live in a city where there are component sales stores... They run from $9.95 to $25... but don't tell you a lot more than an exchange power supply would.

You just never know... OIur shops are in a high lightning area of Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, and Arizona... Most lightning that damages a computer is not even seen... no flash... comes down the modem line or the cable... rather than the power line...

We find that "usually" only one component is damaged.... whether it be a modem, ethernet card, or power supply.. And nearly always, the hard drive is not damaged. We have had 68 damaged computers so far this summer... Only three were destroyed.... most of the others had modem or power supply damage.

All you can do is test with a throw-away power supply... If it boots, then get a good replacement power supply like a Corsair, OCZ, FSP Group, Sparkle, Antec, PCPower and Cooling, and do it right. While at the store, you might want to get a battery operating power line detector if you leave your computer on a lot.

I had a similar problem but I did not have a storm. Make sure you DVI or whatever cable you use for display is in the right slot. So if there is multiple slots for video cables, Try them all out. That can be the problem because if you install a graphic card, It replaces the onboard card. You might be plugging it into the slot that is for the onboard one.

Back