Far Cry 3 PC or PS3

jackgreat

Hello guys,

I have always been an avid pc gamer. All the games I have played has been in the pc so far. A little over a month ago my wife gifted me a PS3. So in the last one month I have mostly played motion games in ps3, though I have also tried my hand in Resident Evil 6 as well. Far cry 3 release is around the corner and I am deciding whether I should buy for pc or ps3.

PS3
The good : no setup hassle and great to play on my big hdtv.
Bad : crosshair control is not easy (using thumbstick). Not comfortable yet.
PC
Good : familier, controlling is known and easier
Bad : have to sit on my computer table, viewing on monitor is not as great as in big hdtv (though I have a 22" HDTV monitor).

The only reason I am thinking whether to buy pc version of far cry 3 is because using mouse camera/crosshair control is easier than thumbstick. Otherwise ps3 on my hdtv would give better experience.

What should I do ?

(My pc is Win 7, Intel i5-2500, 4 GB RAM, nvidia gtx 275)

Will be glad if anyone can help me decide.

Cheers,
Jack

PC. You can always hook it up to the TV and use a gamepad.

Cheaper, better graphics, better controls.

(My pc is Win 7, Intel i5-2500, 4 GB RAM, nvidia gtx 275)
I am not sure if anyone noticed. However, your machine will not deliver very good performance in FC3.
You should go with the Ps3 version.

Hmm, I see your point, but I think that he will still be able to turn the graphics up a little more than PS3 visuals.

You're probably right, Unkown9122. I can't say I actually know where the PS3 graphics falls in regards to graphic quality. Honestly I've always assumed it would probably provide you with something similar to low-Medium graphics. Thus, I recommend the PS3 because, I don't see him running it any higher then that with those specs.

Even though I still believe the PC will get him slightly better graphics (1080p, DX10..), even if the graphics were exactly the same I'd still recommend the PC version.

1st you can't compare PC graphics to PS3,some PS3 exclusives look very good considering the outdated gpu on the PS3.
Yes, I know I said exclusives and I know Far Cry 3 isn't one.

I would ask, what do you prefer to play FPS on PS3 or PC?,then get that version.

I personally would play fps games on my PC but racing and sandbox games I play on PS3.

When it comes to some PC guys you need to be careful to what they say because quite a few are so against consoles
it not even funny.

1st you can't compare PC graphics to PS3,some PS3 exclusives look very good considering the outdated gpu on the PS3.

I would ask, what do you prefer to play FPS on PS3 or PC?,then get that version.

I personally would play fps games on my PC but racing and sandbox games I play on PS3.

When it comes to some PC guys you need to be careful to what they say because quite a few are so against consoles
it not even funny.
what exclusives? I am kinda curious lol

Uncharted 3,God of war 3, GT5.
I'm sure there are more but I don't have every single game on PS3.

Far Cry 3 has some spectacular graphics. For me, at least, the game's graphics were a huge selling point. Half the time, in fact, I find that I "watch" this game more than I play it. You will not see a fraction of the full potential of the game's graphics on PS3. I'm pretty sure a GTX 275 will do a better job at it. So my vote is solidly behind PC.

Having said that, however, I should mention that getting this particular game's graphics exactly how I wanted them on my machine required hours of googling, tweaking and tuning. I don't mind that stuff at all. I love it, in fact. I enjoy the problem-solving aspect of it and all the little tweaking and tuning that it entails. You learn a lot that way. But I can imagine how that can be a consideration for those who don't particularly like to be bogged down by these things and are more keen on enjoying the gameplay straight up and right away.

I personally think that PC is the way to go since you are familiar with the controls which will result in better gameplay. But the fact is that your GPU isn't strong enough at the moment so I think PS3 will deliver better image quality over your PC.
For me, consoles are more for racing games. :D

I personally think that PC is the way to go since you are familiar with the controls which will result in better gameplay. But the fact is that your GPU isn't strong enough at the moment so I think PS3 will deliver better image quality over your PC.
For me, consoles are more for racing games. :D
nope... with the 310.7 driver, performance has been increased by 38%. PS3 is equal to PCs Low with AA off at most situations and games. I think PC is the better bet

it not even funny.

You're wrong in your first sentence, and here's why:

There is simply no way to make games such as the mentioned Uncharted, GoW, etc look that nice without making sacrifices. The game developers know people are playing on TV's from a distance. Their target market is now probably 720p 32 inch TV's at 3 metres distance or more.

At this point, it's really hard to see detail. Additionally, the devs get rid of the high-demand low-impact features like full-screen AA, shadows, etc. Render distance is minimal. Tessellation non-existent. Bloom and blur effects. No v-sync.

In the end, since the devs know exactly what hardware is being used (PS3), they can optimise the daylights out of the game to make it look best on the target 32 inch screen.

nope... with the 310.7 driver, performance has been increased by 38%.

LOL. You're not going to get 38% improvement from every GeForce card included in the support list. Do you honestly think nVIDIA is going to put as much work into a GTX 275 with old technologies, as they do with their new cards with new technologies? If you want the full story, read the change log nVIDIA releases in PDF format.

Having said that, however, I should mention that getting this particular game's graphics exactly how I wanted them on my machine required hours of googling, tweaking and tuning.

I gotta know what you found on Google, and what tweaks and tuning you did.

@ hahahanoobs: Yeah, you've been looking around for them, too, huh? :)

The game doesn't seem to like dual card set ups. My framerates would jump from unbelievably good to absolutely horrendous, following -- it still seems to me -- no workable pattern! :D The drops would come out of nowhere -- still do, from time to time. But I've managed to make the gameplay smoother by combining a few of the tweaks you'll find, pretty much in a nutshell, here.

The other tweaks I tried are really not worth mentioning as the results were terrible. (There is an item, for example, in the config profile that permits threaded optimization in Dx11 mode. I tried enabling it. The game ran noticeably smoother afterwards, but then it crashed after 20 minutes.)

Also, for my system's configuration, I've settled on turning in-game AA off while enabling 2x AA in the Nvidia Control Panel. I also have 2x sparse grid supersampling enabled via Nvidia Inspector. Right now, too, I've modified SLI compatibility bits (the exact modification should be in the linked page) pending a new driver and SLI profile from Nvidia.

Texture filtering is set to "Clamped" and "High Quality", for now. (For some reason, I get smoother gameplay with textures clamped.) I also modified the config profile a bit.

I'm not all that sure the issues I experienced stemmed with the driver and the game's coding, though. It may well be that they were caused by a CPU bottleneck, for all I know. My CPU is still on stock clocks.

Really hope that helps, even a bit. :)

@ hahahanoobs: Yeah, you've been looking around for them, too, huh? :)

That's a hardcore guide. Thanks. I've been looking for something (single GPU setup) since High went from working fine one day, to being laggy forcing me to Medium. :( I'm afraid the next time I play Medium will lag and force me to stop playing. Low detail is not an option for me. If you ask me the engine used in FC3 is poorly optimized considering I can run BF3 multiplayer on Ultra @ 1080p, No AA, Vsync ON, and Radeon 7870 GHz Ed and it runs (sans smoke spamming) and looks amazing.

That's a hardcore guide. Thanks. I've been looking for something (single GPU setup) since High went from working fine one day, to being laggy forcing me to Medium. :( I'm afraid the next time I play Medium will lag and force me to stop playing. Low detail is not an option for me. If you ask me the engine used in FC3 is poorly optimized considering I can run BF3 multiplayer @ 1080p, No AA, Vsync ON, and Radeon 7870 GHz Ed and it runs (sans smoke spamming) and looks amazing.

Right now, I've settled on custom settings -- since there was simply no way I could run the game smooth on Ultra. I could run everything great on Ultra, say, taking an enemy camp or hunting down prey between missions. I'd get a nice 60 FPS solid throughout, Vsync on. But once I get into a big gunfight within the mission proper -- as when Jason and Sam go to bomb the fuel depot -- I get massive FPS drops that just ruin everything: like watching a slideshow, really. I've managed to reduce this choppiness on custom graphics settings, mostly high, with one or two options on very high and ultra. Like you, low is not option for me.;)

If you're right, and it is the game engine that's causing these problems, then I do hope Ubisoft releases a corrective patch soon. Fun game, and good-looking, too.

I'm surprised. I never realised their were alternative platforms to game on apart from the PC. Just kidding but for me, PC all the way.

Back