Fatal shooting of police officers is the latest act of violence streamed on Facebook Live

midian182

Staff member

For the second time in two days, graphic scenes of violence involving members of law enforcement have been streamed on Facebook Live. The latest incident, which took place in Dallas, Texas, happened during protests against the shooting of black men by police. Five officers have been killed and six wounded by sniper fire.

Michael Kevin Bautista’s video, which has been viewed over 3 million times, shows police taking cover as shots ring out. Others can be seen receiving treatment as they lie on the ground. "They're shooting right now, and there's an officer down. They're moving in on somebody. I think they might have got somebody," Bautista says into his phone, before eventually being told to leave the area.

On Wednesday, Lavish Reynolds started a Facebook Live stream after her boyfriend was fatally shot by a police officer who pulled them over in Minnesota’s Falcon Heights district for a broken taillight.

With her young daughter in the back of the car, Reynolds calmly explains that Philando Castile, sat covered in blood and losing consciousness next to her, was reaching for his drivers license rather than a weapon when he was shot several times. "The police just shot my boyfriend for no apparent reason," she said.

The video quickly spread throughout the social network but soon disappeared, leading to accusations of censorship on Facebook’s part. The company denied this, claiming the removal was due to a bug, and the video returned to the site an hour later with a graphic content warning. “We’re very sorry that the video was temporarily inaccessible. It was down due to a technical glitch and restored as soon as we were able to investigate,” said Facebook.

Mark Zuckerberg addressed the video in a post on his Facebook page. "The images we've seen this week are graphic and heartbreaking, and they shine a light on the fear that millions of members of our community live with every day," he wrote. "While I hope we never have to see another video like Diamond's [Reynolds], it reminds us why coming together to build a more open and connected world is so important -- and how far we still have to go," the CEO wrote.

This wasn’t the first time that Facebook has blocked newsworthy content and blamed it on a “glitch.” It temporarily suspended six pro-Bernie Sanders groups and five groups supporting Filipino presidential candidate Rodrigo Duterte in April for the same reasons.

On the flip side, the company has been praised for its swift removal of other live videos, including the one by ISIS sympathizer Larossi Abballa, who filmed himself after murdering two people in France.

As live streaming becomes a frequently used method of putting viewers at the heart of an incident, Facebook is facing more questions over where it should draw the line when it comes to censorship.

Permalink to story.

Is something wrong with me? I got angry at the girlfriend for continuing to record the event (shooting of her boyfriend) instead of helping the bleeding victim by calling 911 (ie., hello, 911. the police shot my boyfriend...etc.)

Bravo to the girlfriend for continuing to record the incident. It clearly shows the officer was out of control and not in command of the situation. I am particularly grateful the young lady streamed it so the police could not take her phone and destroy the evidence, as has happened in the past. Suppression of evidence is in itself a crime, yet they continue to get away with it.

We have been predicting a race war in this country for years .... I fear that last nights assassination of 5 Texas police officers with 11 wounded may just be the start. MLK Jr. preached calm civil disobedience and a non-violent atmosphere, but many minorities are starting to see that taking matters into their own hands might be their only hope and God knows, the lack of action by the Department of Justice and other federal agencies has only done more to encourage that approach. It makes we wonder if that isn't the real driving force behind wanting tighter regulation on gun ownership. I'm probably wrong but if it walks like and duck and quacks like a duck ........

It makes we wonder if that isn't the real driving force behind wanting tighter regulation on gun ownership. I'm probably wrong but if it walks like and duck and quacks like a duck ........

Because all of those shootings are done with lawfully purchased firearms and it would make such a huge difference in crime... /sarcastic

Is something wrong with me? I got angry at the girlfriend for continuing to record the event (shooting of her boyfriend) instead of helping the bleeding victim by calling 911 (ie., hello, 911. the police shot my boyfriend...etc.)

The cop was on the passenger side with his gun pointed at her. They had already called an ambulance. Probably the only thing the cop did right that day. She was later cuffed and put in the back of a police car. Get the facts before spouting off online.

The cop was on the passenger side with his gun pointed at her. They had already called an ambulance. Probably the only thing the cop did right that day. She was later cuffed and put in the back of a police car. Get the facts before spouting off online.
Spouting off without the facts is what 99 out of 100 people on the internet does, it's basically a requirement.

Spouting off without the facts is what 99 out of 100 people on the internet does, it's basically a requirement.

And THAT my friends, is the whole problem I have with social media.
Also, we don't know what was said/done BEFORE the video was recorded. Did the officer run the guy to find out if he was wanted, did the officer tell the guy to KEEP YOUR HANDS ON THE WHEEL until I get another officer here? Did the man shot, after telling the officer he had a CCW (has that been proved as fact?), make undo movements that made the officer think he was reaching for a weapon?
No, we DO NOT know the answers to these questions, but, due to twitter, instagram, snapchat, facebook, text messaging etc...people can pretty much say ANYTHING they want, and it grows out of control.
Just take Ferguson for example. It was let loose on twitter the police shot an unarmed man running AWAY from the police. Did anyone know, after the entire story was vetted, that in FACT, the man was running TOWARD the police offier? Did anyone know that before he ran at the officer, that IN FACT, the man had reached through the window and punched the officer and tried to take his gun? Did we know that prior to the encounter in the street, that IN FACT he had shoplifted and assaulted the store clerk?
No, but, if you were to ask most of the BLM types, and, probably a LOT of other people, they will say that the police officer shot an "innocent boy".
And, the media, is also partially responsible. Pretty much EVERY time you see a photo of Michael Brown, do you EVER see the "real" photo of him? The real photo of him flashing gang signs, with all his tattoos, holding a gun, smoking a blunt? Nope, what do you see? The photo of him in his graduation photo. They show him as an innocent "victim", not the street thug he really was.

So the
so the police shot the suspect, called the ambulance service, pointed the gun at the girlfriend, and the only thing the girlfriend did was record the event?
and I'm not sure if I'm angry more at the girlfriend or at you. I even opened my statement with 'is something wrong with me?' because from my point of view, the girlfriend is more concerned with her recording the shooting than helping the boyfriend.
if a loved one is shot and bleeding to death, would you wait for the police to call the ambulance or call emergency service yourself?

So the

so the police shot the suspect, called the ambulance service, pointed the gun at the girlfriend, and the only thing the girlfriend did was record the event?
and I'm not sure if I'm angry more at the girlfriend or at you. I even opened my statement with 'is something wrong with me?' because from my point of view, the girlfriend is more concerned with her recording the shooting than helping the boyfriend.
if a loved one is shot and bleeding to death, would you wait for the police to call the ambulance or call emergency service yourself?

If I HAD to assume after watching the video, she has her hands on the dash while holding the phone she started the live stream on before the cop told her to put her hands on the dash. Also, why would a cop shoot someone and NOT call or have another officer call an ambulance? So what would be the point of the girlfriend calling too? Do ambulances come faster when more people call for one?

In the end, moving her hands to make a call would have resulted in two people shot. Please think before you talk okay?

If I HAD to assume after watching the video, she has her hands on the dash while holding the phone she started the live stream on before the cop told her to put her hands on the dash. Also, why would a cop shoot someone and NOT call or have another officer call an ambulance? So what would be the point of the girlfriend calling too? Do ambulances come faster when more people call for one?

In the end, moving her hands to make a call would have resulted in two people shot. Please think before you talk okay?

On Wednesday, Lavish Reynolds started a Facebook Live stream after her boyfriend was fatally shot by a police officer who pulled them over in Minnesota’s Falcon Heights district for a broken taillight.
...after her boyfriend was fatally shot, she started a facebook live stream.
no, ambulances don't come sooner when more people call for it but you can show concern for a loved one by doing the right things: stop the bleeding (as shown by Hollywood tv/movies) or call emergency service yourself.

the point of calling emergency service is not waiting for someone else to do it for you. you would not assume that the police would do it for you since one of them already shot your loved one.

The cop was on the passenger side with his gun pointed at her.
would the police really shoot her if she puts something into her ear or just dial 911 instead of connecting to facebook livestream?
the 911 operator could have recorded what the police instructed the girlfriend to do after her boyfriend was fatally shot, provided the voices are loud enough to be captured by the phone.

...after her boyfriend was fatally shot, she started a facebook live stream.
no, ambulances don't come sooner when more people call for it but you can show concern for a loved one by doing the right things: stop the bleeding (as shown by Hollywood tv/movies) or call emergency service yourself.

the point of calling emergency service is not waiting for someone else to do it for you. you would not assume that the police would do it for you since one of them already shot your loved one.

would the police really shoot her if she puts something into her ear or just dial 911 instead of connecting to facebook livestream?
the 911 operator could have recorded what the police instructed the girlfriend to do after her boyfriend was fatally shot, provided the voices are loud enough to be captured by the phone.

I said THINK before you talk.

If a cop is holding a gun on you, it's because he DOESN'T want you to move. Especially when the passenger just said he had a gun.

The cop wouldn't shoot if she was just calling an ambulance after she just watched her bf get shot for reaching for ID the cop asked for? How stupid are you? Be honest.

PS, movies and TV shows don't depict real life.

Bravo to the girlfriend for continuing to record the incident. It clearly shows the officer was out of control and not in command of the situation. I am particularly grateful the young lady streamed it so the police could not take her phone and destroy the evidence, as has happened in the past. Suppression of evidence is in itself a crime, yet they continue to get away with it.

We have been predicting a race war in this country for years .... I fear that last nights assassination of 5 Texas police officers with 11 wounded may just be the start. MLK Jr. preached calm civil disobedience and a non-violent atmosphere, but many minorities are starting to see that taking matters into their own hands might be their only hope and God knows, the lack of action by the Department of Justice and other federal agencies has only done more to encourage that approach. It makes we wonder if that isn't the real driving force behind wanting tighter regulation on gun ownership. I'm probably wrong but if it walks like and duck and quacks like a duck ........
I for one, would like to rent a room in that ivory tower of yours! Unless of course, you'd like to venture down into the "hood" with me, and find out how very wrong pretty much of everything you've said in this post actually is...:D

The saddest part of this whole affair actually is, while people are screaming foul about "censorship", the real reason they want to see these videos, most assuredly has a component based in pure blood lust.

And while as somebody put it, "police shows aren't real life", theater does mirror the mores of the society it inhabits.

Accordingly, this type of bloodthirsty "spectator sport", was been predicted decades ago in films such as, "The Running Man", and "Rollerball".

And then there's the world of, "The Hunger Games". Just watch any of the "entertainment news shows", and then a few of these "snuff flicks" on Facebook. That should give you an idea how close real life is coming to imitating life on the big screen.

I for one, would like to rent a room in that ivory tower of yours! Unless of course, you'd like to venture down into the "hood" with me, and find out how very wrong pretty much of everything you've said in this post actually is...:D

Congratulations .... You have established yourself as our #1 cynic !!!!

Congratulations .... You have established yourself as our #1 cynic !!!!
The trouble for me anyway, about embracing your dogma, is the fact there's no sand here to stick your head in. I have to wait to back into a parking spot until some mutt gets done selling a bag of smack. I get to watch and listen to them shooting and running up and down the street with 9mm pistols in full view. I get to watch as some woman gets her house rented for her by the Fed ("Section 8"), while she has half a dozen full grown men dealing drugs out of that self same house 24/7/365, while she works 3 hours a day ostensibly in "child care". It would be different if she even knew right from wrong.

Cynic? Hardly. "Pragmatist" is more like it.

All of that notwithstanding, I thought I already was and had been, Techspot's #1 Cynic, and I was about to slack off a bit.

Last edited:
Back