FBI raids homes of Anonymous hackers in New York

Emil

The FBI today executed search warrants for computers and computer-related accessories by raiding the homes of three hackers from the infamous hacktivist group Anonymous in New York. More than 10 FBI agents stormed the house of Giordani Jordan in Baldwin, New York and took "at least one laptop from the premises," according to Fox News.

Jordan is suspected to have been behind some of the distributed denial of service (DDoS) orchestrated by Anonymous. The group has had initiatives against Australia, Egypt, Iran, Tunisia, the Church of Scientology, MasterCard, Visa, PayPal, the Swiss bank PostFinance, and HBGary Federal, among others.

Agents are also searching homes in Long Island, New York as well as Brooklyn, New York. The hackers are said to be in their late teens and early 20s. It's currently unclear if the perpetrators were also part of the hacktivist group LulzSec, which claimed responsibility for hacks against Fox.com, PBS, Sony, the US Senate, and the CIA.

Anonymous is largely a politically-motivated organization, while LulzSec is in it for the "lulz." Nevertheless, the two groups have worked together in the past. Last month, Anonymous and LulzSec teamed up and launched Operation Anti-Security. They encouraged supporters to hack into, steal, and publish classified government information from any source while leaving the term "Antisec" as evidence of their intrusion.

The problem with arrests like this one is the same one faced by those fighting piracy. In Greek mythology, the Lernaean Hydra was an ancient nameless serpent-like chthonic water beast that possessed many heads. The poets wrote it had more heads than the vase-painters could paint, and for each head cut off it grew two more.

Permalink to story.

Hey, Techspot, if you get anymore information from Fox you lose all your credibility. Citing Fox "News" is like citing Wikipedia in your thesis. It'd be interesting to see how this pans out, the article doesn't really say anything other than someone was arrested from anon.

Uh, it's not just FOX reporting this - it's on every major news source.

"The hackers are said to be in their late teens and early 20s." Boy, that's a real shocker.

Hope this leads to more arrests. These morons believe they are judge, jury and executioner for whomever their little minds see fit.

TomSEA said:
Uh, it's not just FOX reporting this - it's on every major news source.

Then there is absolutely NO reason they should cite Fox News. Even if wiki has the same information as a paper encyclopedia, you don't cite Wiki. Makes you wonder, is that where techspot gets their news?

(shrugs) It's a news source. I don't understand the angst against TechSpot. Everyone knows that FOX has a conservative leaning, and MSNBC has a liberal leaning when it comes to political stories. But for vanilla stories like this, it doesn't matter one wit where the source is quoted from.

TomSEA said:
Everyone knows that FOX has a conservative leaning, and MSNBC has a liberal leaning when it comes to political stories. But for vanilla stories like this, it doesn't matter one wit where the source is quoted from.

So is the the only difference between the two? I'm sure there is an unbiased news source that says the same thing as well. Fox news is owned my Rupert Murdoch, you paying attention what is going on in the "News?" Only reason Fox gets away with saying what it does is that it is considered an opinion show rather than news. Hence the slogan, "We report, you decide."

And what the heck is wrong with Wikipedia ? Sure, it's not Phd thesis material, but some people are ungrateful beyond belief. Yes, articles do get taken down once in a while, but in the meantime you've got the world at your fingertips. Or perhaps you'd rather look up stuff in a 20 volume printed encyclopedia ? I know I wouldn't, so speak for yourself.

yRaz said:
TomSEA said:
Everyone knows that FOX has a conservative leaning, and MSNBC has a liberal leaning when it comes to political stories. But for vanilla stories like this, it doesn't matter one wit where the source is quoted from.

So is the the only difference between the two? I'm sure there is an unbiased news source that says the same thing as well. Fox news is owned my Rupert Murdoch, you paying attention what is going on in the "News?" Only reason Fox gets away with saying what it does is that it is considered an opinion show rather than news. Hence the slogan, "We report, you decide."

Just... just... drop it...

yRaz, if your liberal bias is going to force you to denounce Techspot because of one little story, then don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out. I'll do my best not to lose any sleep.

yRaz said:

Jeez, someone hack your voice mail or something? =)

yRaz is what you'd call a 'wild-eyed liberal' (we've argued before), one of those people who will politicize everything and make up their mind on whether or not to believe a story based on where it comes from instead of actually reading it and thinking it over.

According to the story on CNET, 14 people were arrested ( http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20080746-245/fbi-arrest-14-in-anonymous-hacking-investigation/ ).

As for the Hydra you may beleive they're fightning... you could say the same thing about drug cartels. With the huge difference of these hackers don't make tons of money. I bet if enough of them find the FBI storming through their doors plenty of others will think twice about it.

As for the Hydra you may beleive they're fightning... you could say the same thing about drug cartels. With the huge difference of these hackers don't make tons of money. I bet if enough of them find the FBI storming through their doors plenty of others will think twice about it.

There's also a good possibility that information could be obtained from the seized computer to help develop new leads for other suspects, at least I hope so.

=I hope this doesn't start a war with anom vs the us government, both the us government and anom could be using there resources for better causes.

Wendig0 said:
yRaz, if your liberal bias is going to force you to denounce Techspot because of one little story, then don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out. I'll do my best not to lose any sleep.

I wouldn't call it a liberal bias. Even the most conservative of my friends agree that fox has a strong conservative bias and they don't trust what they see on it without checking another source first. Personally I check many news sources before making an opinion and it is very likely that Techspot does the same so I don't necessarily see a problem with citing it.

Faux (and every other mainstream media organization) are only propaganda machines now. I never believe anything they tell me unless its confirmed by an independent source. Alex Jones for example.

I think yRaz just want his news source to come from Jon Stewart and The View because that where he feels comfortable to get the facts. So listen up TechSpot editors! =)

"The hackers are said to be in their late teens and early 20s"
LOL everyone was right when they called them a bunch of teenage losers living with their parents xD

Seriously yRaz, what's going on? I hate Fox News as much as the next guy, but come on. Even if they report this, it's still news. If it wasn't for the cite, you wouldn't have even known it was FN since it didn't put it's strong willed blabbering opinion in there. It was just a simple "FBI raids home of Anon members." This is news no matter where it comes from.

You need to pay attention to your quote "We report, you decide."

"We report": they give you the news
"you decide": they give you their opinions, then ask for yours...god forbid yours goes against theirs, though :p

As far as the story is concerned, the government can't really be happy about this. They've got only a few people out of a group made up of who knows how many people. I just wonder how Anon goes about recruiting people...

Hopefully they will take most of these guys down. I think a couple of years in a federal prison will do them good...

Back