Feedback / issues running "Virtual XP" in Win 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

LookinAround

Hi All! :wave:

I thought i'd start a thread to discuss everyone's impressions and/or any issues to report when running Virtual XP within Windows 7.

Virtual XP
> Runs XP as a program within Windows 7. You basically get a window which provides you the XP desktop
> You can run your XP programs within the XP window right on your Windows 7 desktop
> You can move data between your XP and your Win 7 partitions as they all just look like network mounted drives to each other

To run virtual XP in Windows 7 you must
> Buy a CPU that supports "virtualization" (this is a CPU hardware feature) and
> Run Windows 7 Premium, Ultimate or Enterprise Editions

As to my experience thus far:
I discovered my NTI CD/DVD Maker software won't run in Windows 7. (Win 7 reports the drivers aren't compatible)
> So i started Virtual XP
> Installed NTI into my "virtual XP computer" just as i did on my old XP computer
> And ran the program successfully within the virtual xp environment

So far, for the little i've done to date, the virtual XP environment has run just fine and just as i'd expect an XP computer to work

I haven't played with any of the special USB or virtual XP settings yet.

Anyone have some more info/experience or any problems to report about Virtual XP?

Note: Windows XP Mode is only available in:
  • Windows 7 Enterprise
  • Windows 7 Professional
  • Windows 7 Ultimate
MS Support FAQ is HERE
The only issues I've found with Users running Virtual software is BSoD relating to faulty Ram
A Memtest guide can be found HERE, in case you suspect faulty Ram

I have 7 Pro and almost went to play around with the Virtual XP stuff, but then I realized there is nothing that I have that won't run in 7 but will in XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back