Finding a file

Status
Not open for further replies.
After I create a file, I will come back to find it thru the shortcut on the desk top and the file is not in the folder it was saved in. This problem has been happening off and on. What I would do is then go to my computer - g-drive - etc and could find the file. Now when I go thru that process, the file is not in the folder.

If I open the program it was generated in and go to recent documents and click on it. It says that there is a file there with the same name - do I want to replace it? I say yes. Then go to the folder and it is empty.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Wayne

XP home v2002 with SP3
AMD Turion 64 x2 Moblie
1.60 G Hz - 1.87 GB of Ram

When you mean create, do you mean like... create? Try creating a notepad, just name it like findme.txt and save it in your C drive. If your talking about stuff your downloading online... than i would suggest you make sure that every file is being sent to the same directory, because with mozilla and other browsers, different file types will be saved in different areas, depending on if you even saved them, or just clicked open.

Also, try double clicking the "My Computer" tab.

Go to tools > Folder options > General > and click the restore defaults button. than go to advanced

Than go to Tools > Folder options > View and click restore defaults. After wards look down the list of boxes, and check show hidden files. than click ok and exit out of everything, give er a reboot and see if that did anything for you?

If I open the program it was generated in and go to recent documents and click on it. It says that there is a file there with the same name - do I want to replace it? I say yes. Then go to the folder and it is empty.

Sounds like the problem of not understanding the difference between "Save As" and "Save."

Use File for the drop-down menu for Save As. If you use the icon on the toolbar, the file automatically goes to the location set as the default.

When you save a file the first time: File> Save As> Name the file on the screen that comes up> Choose the Location (Save In)where you want to save it if other than default location.

To change or save more to the same file: File> Save.

See this image for 'Save In' dialog box:
default-save-as-location.png

You can only "Save As" a file once. Additions, corrections, deleting to that file are done using "Save."

I didn't even think of that... I like to think that most people these days have a basic understand of the computer, but maybe I was proven wrong again. (My dad, who took a computer class, didn't even know how to copy and paste... HE'S ONLY 40!!)

Mr. Flap, I see you're new here and very busy. Please take you time before throwing your replies out and never assume!

McFlapnJacks & Bobbye

I found my problem; i was saving a cut file for my CNC in the folder for my quotes and other communications.
I save my cut files under the program that runs my CNC.

Thank you both for your responses. Your comments made me to think of back tracking where it was saving!

Thanks for your imput and time on a 3 day weekend.

Have a nice hoilday!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back