Finding Wi-Fi stations with an outboard LAN

Hi

I'm looking for a way to scan for wifi in my area but I am using an external lan .. TP Link wireless G access point TL WA-500G. ( shows as Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20 in Control Panel Lan connection properties)

This links to my ISP via wifi and comes down the lan cable to my computer..
I have tried a Windows 7 Gadget Xirrus wi fi monitor as well as Network Stumbler.

Both report " unable to detect wi fi adapter"

Is there some program that will work for me.?

Setup is usual desktop unit pentium Dual core with 4 gig ram running windows 7 or win xp
( dual boot )

Thanks

Gary

The device you are wired into, is a wireless access point/bridge. For all intents and purposes you are connected to a wired connection. As your current setup is, you will not be able to scan for wifi networks. You would need to have a wifi adapter in your desktop pc, either usb, pci, pci express, etc. From there you will be able to use programs to scan for other wifi networks that are within range. One of the best wireless adapter I have ever used is the Alfa AWUS036H [link here: http://www.data-alliance.net/servlet/-strse-73/Alfa-AWUS036H-1000mW-USB/Detail] it has an *** ton of power & can pull in even the weakest signal. Hope this helps, take care!

Back