Firefox and Iexplore stay open in processes after closing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there guys,

I am having a slight problem that is being a little more difficult than usual.

When I run either firefox or Internet explorer, firefox.exe or iexplore.exe, stay open and utilize 50% CPU after I close the program.

I have followed the steps and attached are the results, nothing looks to out of the norm to me. So I am not exactly sure where to go from here.
Any input would be helpful.
Thanks - Steve

Hello Steve,
I thought I would join you in this thread rather than start a new one. Hopefully we can sort this out for both of us.

I am having the exact same problems. At first I thought it was Iexplore.exe opening new hidden processes on it's own, but everytime I open a new Tab or Explorer page, and then close it, the process stays in Task Manager. Some of the processes use 0% Usage, while others use 20-50%.

Ive tryed Resetting Internet Explorer, Updated Java to the latest Version. Ran Comodo Anti Virus Full Scan about 5 times, Malwarebyte's AntiMalware Full Scan, Spybot S&D, CCleaner, Microsofts Malware Scanner and they have all come up clean.
Ive even cleared up all my PC, fixed the registry files, cleared history, temp folders, internet temp, Defragmented my hard drive.

Theres loads of other threads on this if you google Multiple iexplore.exe, However, no-one has really given a solution to the problem and no-one seems to know whats going on.

Its really annoying, as after around 5-10 minutes of browsing my laptop becomes unusuable, so I have to open Task Manager and close down everything and all the Iexplore.exe's that are still there.
And also, Ive been experiencing some unexplained shutdowns, where my laptop will just cut out with no warning. At first I thought it was overheating, But all my fans are cleaned out and Im using it on a hard wooden desk so it can't be that.

Anyones suggestions on this would be highly appreciated!
Thank you.

Hey Andy,

I am not 100% sure my problem is fixed yet, I only spent a little time working on it last night.
I downloaded Kaspersky's Interenet security 2009 trial version

usa.kaspersky.com/trials/home-users/internet-security

and it found a fishing website on IE.

Once that was fixed it doesn't look like the problem is there.
I will run Nod32 trail version tonight but I don't think there is anything left.

It doesn't hurt to give Karpersky a try since it is a trail version.

Wow, Thank you for that advise Steve!

It has done the job for me aswell. I must say, I am quite impressed with Kaspersky, it even finds the updates that you need for already installed software.
Ive uninstalled Comodo Internet Security and cleared down all my laptop, d/l and installed all the new updates and now it is running smooth :) Think I will buy the full version of Kaspersky this month.

After 3 nights of trying to sort this out its finally done.

Cheers Steve! :)
Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back