Firefox not working after installing beta 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

sickerthanyou

i installed it yesterday and now my firefox doesnt work. i reinstalled the old one and the beta mutliple times, restarted my computer. is there a way i can fix this?

the sequence should be
1- uninstall the current version; reboot the system
2- download version 2.* and install it; reboot

now try your browser

Do you have Firefox 3.0, Beta 5. That one works better.
But Firefox 2.0.0.13 is the latest trustworthy version.

You may possibly have to remove the Firefox folder and do a quick clean of the system registry.
Keep in mind that you would lose all your ad-ons and bookmarks should it become necessary to take these drastis steps.

Do you have a firewall installed? You would almost certainly have to redo the internet access permissions for the new 3.0 version of Firefox.

2.0.0.13 is the latest version of FF they've told me about. So, unless there's a double secret update they haven't bother to share with me, that's a yes.

do you know how to do clean the system registry? i already deleted my bookmarks so im ok w/ that.

and how do i redo the internet access permissions?

wat the hell is a computer? im kidding

sickerthanyou said:
do you know how to do clean the system registry? i already deleted my bookmarks so im ok w/ that.

and how do i redo the internet access permissions?

wat the hell is a computer? im kidding

NOW, this is only if you can't get it to work otherwise......
First; you need a clean FULL Firefox 2.0.0.13 installer package (LEAVE the Beta ALONE) Use Internet explorer to download the Ifile from firefox.com. This way it won't try to install updates or upgrades(?) on the fly. Save the file to the desktop
Use Firefox'es uninstaller and remove it.

Let's forget the registry cleaning for now

Then you need to follow this file path C:/Documents and settings/ Program files/Mozilla Fire fox and delete this folder completely.
At this point re-install FF 2,0 from the exe. (installer package)
From a clean install FF should establish it's own internet connection from it's first launch.

If you have a firewall installed it could possibly block access to the web so disable it.

A computer is an annoying POS than sometimes won't do what you want despite your best intentions toward (or against) that end.

Did that hit all your questions?

it still isnt working. i had the beta uninstalled when i did this btw. and the mozilla folder in the program files gets deleted when i uninstall firefox from its folder. im sure thats sposed to happen but you made me think different. maybe i misundestood you, but still, internet explorer sucks, so plz, i need my baby back.

The program folder itself doesn't normally get deleted on the uninstall. simply because the themes and add-ons are not dumped with the uninstall. At least this has been my experience. So, now you've lost me.

Working, from "control panel" if you uninstall say FF 1.5, then run FF 2.0 .exe, it will install itself into the preexisting folder, then check for add-on compatibility. At least that's what it always does for me. I'm not having this problem, that's not bragging or gloating, just reporting on my experiences.

The only time I've seen FF not be able to find it's way to the net (at all, or after an upgrade), was when I had Zone Alarm firewall installed, and I forgot it was there, because it was running WITHOUT it's user interface. <long story.

You can install this little registry cleaner, http://www.tweaknow.com/RegCleaner.html I've had good luck with it, (It's never removed anything I've actually needed). As always, your results could vary. Read the instructions first.

To be continued.....

ok i have firefox uninstalled when i followed your instructions. i installed it then did wat you told me, i dunno if that changes anything

i just uninstalled from the control panel and there still isnt a mozilla folder in my program files

do you always edit your posts? ive been using forums for years and ive never seen so many consecutive eddited posts.

sickerthanyou said:
ok i have firefox uninstalled when i followed your instructions. i installed it then did wat you told me, i dunno if that changes anything

i just uninstalled from the control panel and there still isnt a mozilla folder in my program files

I guess it only changes things if it's working

If you've actually removed it completely, then installed it from a viable installer package I'm not sure how it couldn't work. Unless somethings blocking it, like a firewall. So, I'm baffled.

Keep in mind that you must clean the recycle bin of any old FF folders, Don't ask me why

Help....!

o ya, and i went to control panel, windows firewall then added mozilla firefox as a program. it wasnt in the exceptions list.

why me tho? and why now?

sickerthanyou said:
o ya, and i went to control panel, windows firewall then added mozilla firefox as a program. it wasnt in the exceptions list.

why me tho? and why now?
captaincranky said:
A computer is an annoying POS than sometimes won't do what you want despite your best intentions toward (or against) that end.

Asked and answered!

Probably the full version number upgrade 2.0 > 3.0 Zone Alarm would send up notification that a "changed program..Firefox is trying to access the internet."., then ask you to sign (click) off on it. With Windows firewall, who knows.

Do you not realize that programs still in Beta has 'bugs' and beta testing is to get as many fixed as possible. Best not to use beta versions unless you're a beta tester.

Bobbye said:
Do you not realize that programs still in Beta has 'bugs' and beta testing is to get as many fixed as possible. Best not to use beta versions unless you're a beta tester.

Here we're dealing with a situation where a firewall was blocking the program, so if it had been granted the proper permissions FF 3.0 (beta or otherwise) might have functioned correctly, or close to correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back