Firefox problem

cjmagnum

ok, so everytime i open firefox (except for the first time) i get a pop up that its already open. i have to go into the task manager to turn it off, depending on how long i was using it previously the computer usage will be anywhere from 20,000 K to 180,000 K. This is a minor anoyance but i would like to fix it. I used to have this happen randomly and it caused me no problem, now its everytime. Although it is an improvment from when i would get the BSOD once or twice a week to once every other day. So does someone have a fix for me? firefox just isn't closing right i guess

While awaiting answers here, I’d advise you to also try the Firefox Support Forum which is specialized on problems with this browser.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38

As regards my suggestions, you stand a good chance of success if you backup your bookmarks and re-install Firefox. The less add-ons, extensions and toolbars you install with it, the better as regards stability, security and speed. So use the minimum required and get them from the Firefox site itself, as they can be malicious. And install them one at a time, waiting to see if any trouble appears.

If you don’t want to re-install, try disabling all said add-ons, extensions and toolbars to see if it solves the problem. If it does, re-enable them one at a time to find the culprit.

Furthermore, if Firefox is frozen for some reason, then it should be closed from the Task Manager, otherwise it doesn’t close properly and on restarting it will give the message you mention.

Last but not least, the Task Manager is not a good indicator of memory usage, as it shows what’s reserved for it, not what is actually used by it. To reduce this figure, minimize and re-maximize Firefox.

As an adition to the above post..

Run Firefox in Firefox Safe Mode (Start>programs>mozilla>Firefox Safe mode) and see how it behaves then. If it runs fine, exits fine, and doesn't bring that warning up, then you have add-ons that are conflicting with your installation.

Back