First-gen Ryzen chips might be sneakily getting an upgrade to 12nm

mongeese

Staff
Rumor mill: AMD’s first-gen Ryzen chips continue to sell well as budget alternatives to the newer generations. So well in fact that they might be getting an upgrade from 14nm to 12nm.

The Ryzen 5 1600 launched in 2017 with the YD1600BBAE code (visible on the box and the CPU), but in September a YD1600BBAF model began appearing on retailers’ sites. Common hardware detection tools including CPU-Z and HWInfo recognize the AF model as using a 12nm process, though as AMD hasn’t confirmed anything, it’s not yet a guarantee.

One Redditor, who picked up the AF model, commented that “under any load, even 1-2 cores, the old chip fell to 3.4GHz. But this new AF chip was able to sustain 3.7 for longer periods which is only 200 MHz lower than the real 2600.” The AF chip still has the same maximum clocks as the AE, but can apparently stay higher for longer, which is what you’d expect from a node upgrade. It could provide a slim performance lead in-game.

At this point, it’s a mystery why AMD would be slipping in 12nm dies. Perhaps it’s just a mistake in the code, perhaps they had defective 2600 dies they wanted to turn into something else. Perhaps demand for the 1600 outpaced demand for the 2600, or perhaps GlobalFoundries had to close a portion of their 14nm manufacturing lines for some reason. Regardless, you should be buying an AF over an AE.

On Amazon, the AE chip presently costs $120 – an identical price to the superior 2600, which is the better buy if you’re looking to spend $120. The AF, meanwhile, costs only $85 for what is potentially superior performance over the AE. The only compromise is that the AF comes with a Wraith Stealth cooler instead of a Wraith Spire, but as the difference worked out to be ~5° C while gaming during our testing, it’s a miles better deal.

Permalink to story.

Sounds like only guessing and no real journalism
Well let’s say we went out and bought an AF version CPU. What then? At best we could only confirm the hardware ID strings being read by the like of CPU-Z are stating 12nm. We could also have a look at what the Reddit user found with his/her AF sample and we may end up finding similar results. Would any of this prove the AF chip is a Zen+ rather than Zen design. I’m not convinced it would which is why we’re all just waiting for AMD to say something about it all.

Well let’s say we went out and bought an AF version CPU. What then? At best we could only confirm the hardware ID strings being read by the like of CPU-Z are stating 12nm. We could also have a look at what the Reddit user found with his/her AF sample and we may end up finding similar results. Would any of this prove the AF chip is a Zen+ rather than Zen design. I’m not convinced it would which is why we’re all just waiting for AMD to say something about it all.
then there is no reason to speculate. (other than keep the AMD buzz alive because AMD is sponsor of this website)

then there is no reason to speculate. (other than keep the AMD buzz alive because AMD is sponsor of this website)

theruck: "Guys don't speculate!"

also theruck: "I speculate based on preconceived notions that techspot is an AMD shill!"

The difference here is that TechSpot made it clear this was not official. You seem pretty convinced to make a statement like that, all without any evidence.

People nitpick about the silliest things. The article title made it clear that the process shrink has not been confirmed and the article itself explains the reasons for believing why it might be true. The rumor wasn't just pulled out of thin air. If you find any sort of speculation off-putting, then don't click on articles with titles that clearly indicate unofficial news. Simple.

I was talking about poor journalism which is still valid statement. nothing to do with my clicking or not clicking. the article is propagating unconfirmed information pointing to AMD doing nasty things against consumers delivering two different specs products under the same market name.

Lol, nice try.
By that logic Apple is a sponsor of this site because their mere mention even in a non-Apple-centric post gets the eyeballs and the comments flowing. Mentioning juicy AMD rumors gets those same page views like anything else relatively controversial, hence the 138 interactions and 14 comments thus far.

I was talking about poor journalism which is still valid statement. nothing to do with my clicking or not clicking. the article is propagating unconfirmed information pointing to AMD doing nasty things against consumers delivering two different specs products under the same market name.
I don't get the 'nasty' bit. The implication from Reddit is that AMD is selling a "new" version of the R5 1600 chip which is faster. What's nasty about that?

People get so caught up in the 14nm -12nm -7nm stuff and they don't even really understand. The newer and lower numbered lithography/fabrication process node doesn't always equate to a better/faster processor. Especially the first iteration of it which is often riddled with bugs.

I see zero evidence of poor journalism. you have other problems, like how AMD is getting a lot of attention, something which you clearly dislike.

I just Checked and my CPU is on the way, got it for $85 and is the "AF" code, as soon as I get it will be taking a look, in the meantime I'm happy as f#ck!

Back