First PC Build: Looking for Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidclark425

I'm trying to put together a 64bit machine with lots of room to upgrade in the future and would like to order all parts from newegg. the only part i have lying around is a dvd/cd burner.

i'm not too sure how to make sure everything is compatible, and i'm feeling pretty lost when it comes to the 64bit side of compatibility. I know I will probably be searching for drivers on manufacturer's websites with a few of the parts.

Case:
COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Motherboard:
MSI P55-GD80 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor:
Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750

Hard Drive:
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Wireless Adapter:
GIGABYTE GN-WP01GS PCI Wireless Adapter - Retail

Video Card:
MSI R4550-MD1GH Radeon HD 4550 1GB 64-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Low Profile Ready Video

Power Supply:
BFG Tech GS-550 550W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.8 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply - Retail

Memory:
Crucial 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model CT25664BA1067

Total: $639.92

Am i missing anything? will this be win7 64bit compatible? is all the hardware compatible?

i would highly recommend an HD4890 w/ 1GB vram instead of the 4550. They are cheap enough now and would give you better bang for your buck. Plus you get GDDR5 memory and a much better gaming experience with big resolutions if that's what you're looking for. HD4550 is fine for general stuff but the extra boost is never a bad thing. What size monitor are you going to be using with the new setup?

Hey David

your build looks good but I agree with Boogityboo04 about getting 4 gigs of RAM. I don't know if your interested in gaming but if you are I would also recommend a different video card such as a HD5770.

You shouldn't have too may problems with 64 bit since this is a new machine with up to date components. You could investigate your wireless adapter to be sure that will work properly.

Hey David

your build looks good but I agree with Boogityboo04 about getting 4 gigs of RAM. I don't know if your interested in gaming but if you are I would also recommend a different video card such as a HD5770.

You shouldn't have too may problems with 64 bit since this is a new machine with up to date components. You could investigate your wireless adapter to be sure that will work properly.

I'd first say that you should get a better case. Consider the CM 690. It's cheap and has a decent amount of room and airflow.

If you're intending to play games then you'll definitely need a better video card. The least that I can recommend would be the HD 4770 / HD 4850. They are decent cards for gaming but do not have DX-11 support.

Also the PSU is a decent one, But if you're ever going to put in a much more powerful video card like the HD 5850 / HD 5870, I wouldn't go with it.

thanks for the advice everyone, switched up the case for a slightly nicer one (COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail)

graphics/psu upgrades will have to wait because of my budget.
looking into more ram also.

gigabit board? are you talking about the motherboard or the wireless card? whats bad about it and what might be a better alternative?

Something I didn't notice earlier. I think you should look into the MSI GD65 board instead of the GD80. It would be more than enough for your requirements and save you a considerable amount of money.

Something I didn't notice earlier. I think you should look into the MSI GD65 board instead of the GD80. It would be more than enough for your requirements and save you a considerable amount of money.

thanks! i will definitely consider downgrading the motherboard to the GD65. looks like i wouldn't be sacrificing much.

thanks! i will definitely consider downgrading the motherboard to the GD65. looks like i wouldn't be sacrificing much.

You won't be sacrificing anything. It's a solid motherboard. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back