First time build and looking for some input

This is what I have put together so far and would like to get some info from those more experienced in building PC's. Ive done some reading and think it looks good. I think the ram matches the mobo. But like I said its my first time. Thanks all who respond

Rosewill Green Series RG700-S12 700W "Compatible with Core i7, i5" Power Supply
Item #:N82E16817182191
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$69.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
Item #:N82E16820231314
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
$104.99

XFX Radeon HD 6850 HD-685X-ZNDC Video Card with Eyefinity
Item #:N82E16814150516
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy
$189.99

ASRock 890GX EXTREME4 ATX AMD Motherboard
Item #:N82E16813157207
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$129.99

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan
$54.99

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6402AAEX 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$69.99

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor
Item #:N82E16819103851
$179.99

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
$7.99

Grand Total: $807.92

Let me know if you think anything isn't matching up or some alternatives. Im right at my budget now.

You may have to overclock the system in order to use the 1600 RAM. Will you be using an old optical drive? You didn't list one. Did you allow for the purchase of an operating system in your budget? 64 bit I presume?

I will be using old disk drives for now. As for an OS I am still wondering if when I purchase one if to go with an OEM or 3 pc one. Havent decided what I may use it on later on. Yes do want windows 7 64 bit.

Just worried if I go with a lower grade Mobo I may have issues on it later. I did see that Hitachi HD but saw to many bad reviews on it and dont think I will really need 1tb any way.

Hardware Spec

Every think is ok and should work fine i think you should stick with the current mobo as it will give you max chance to upgrade later if you wish to do so

Vega77 said:
Just worried if I go with a lower grade Mobo I may have issues on it later. I did see that Hitachi HD but saw to many bad reviews on it and dont think I will really need 1tb any way.

It's a motherboard from the same manufacturer. So no question of lower grade. The only difference will be the fact that the one you picked has an onboard VGA port (useless as you will be using a dedicated GPU) and an extra PCI-E slot (required only if you plan a triple CrossFire setup in the near future). The 890GX chipset may be a slightly better overclocker than the 870.

As to the HDD, you don't require 1TB but you're purchasing a 640GB which is more expensive than the former.

It makes much more sense to be investing in a better GPU if you're looking for gaming performance.

I would like to get the better Vid card but would rather have the better motherboard now. Make it a little easier for upgrade later. Part of the reason why I went with the other hard drive. Bit faster speed on it. But I do appreciate the help. Im still learning and trying to get things figured out. Always helps to talk with those more experienced then I.

there really isnt a difference between the MB's just one less PCI-E slot so i dont see why you dont want it also reviews on Newegg should be taken with a grain of salt as most of the time its the users fault the product doesn't work.

there really isnt a difference between the MB's just one less PCI-E slot so i dont see why you dont want it also reviews on Newegg should be taken with a grain of salt as most of the time its the users fault the product doesn't work.
A grain...or less maybe.

I don't think rosewill's powersupplies are great. I would use a corsair. If you're so concerned about upgrading later on with crossfire, then you should consider a corsair 650w.

Back