First time build gone wrong and I need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeynutz

Okay, so I have been having many issues with my first build. First time the psu wrecked my motherboard and cpu. RMA'ed and got a new motherboard, processor and a different, more reliable psu. Second time I tried building I turned it on just to check if everything was working before I plugged in my graphics to my monitor and everything worked. Then all of a sudden when I tried turning on the computer again the cpu fan wouldn't spin and according to my on-board leds there was a cpu/chipset error. I took off the fan and tried the processor test. The cpu did get hot in a matter of a couple of seconds of the computer being turned on. So I thought it was just a motherboard problem so I bought the same exact model and tried again. Same thing, however the cpu fan never spun at all. Below I will have a list of things that are confusing to me.
-Motherboard says it is a cpu problem, but the cpu is getting hot
-I never hear any beeps from the motherboard, I have the speaker plugged into its correct header. Could my case be defective?
-Why would the cpu fan not spin?
-Could my ram be the problem?
-Also, whenever I had to turn off the computer I had to turn it off via the power supply because holding the power button down for 4-10 seconds on the case did nothing. Could that have damaged the cpu? Again is my case defective?
By the way, when I turn on the computer the optical drive and hard drive are all working which indicates the power supply isn't the problem. Also, this is an AMD set-up with a biostar motherboard and A-Data ram 2x2g.

Any help would be great!

not to bring up the obvious,but did you plug the CPU.Hs fan power into the motherboard cpu fan lead?

go into your bios and disable cool-n quite, and see if that starts the fan spinning. inthe mean time make sure the cpu fan is plugged into the actual 4 pin cpu fan header, and not one of the other fan leads on the motherboard.

Oh my bad, I forgot to mention the system does not post. My mistake, but I have tried manually resetting the cmos and nothing happened.

recheck your mobo install instructions to make sure its not shorting out against the standoffs

Okay, well after looking at my motherboard closely I spotted that a thin, copper stringish like object was cut off and isn't reaching the other side(located on the back of the motherboard). This copper material is located near the area where my 20 plus 4 pin psu input goes in. I am attempting to put electric tape on it maybe it will work, but I doubt it. Interesting stuff here.

So I discovered that I had an extra stand-off where it shouldn't have been even though my case said there would be a hole there to screw in. I took it out and put my old motherboard in that looked perfectly find put everything in, plugged everything in and turned on the power. The system only comes on for like a second then shuts down. I wonder what the problem is now. The power supply worked fine with powering my hard drive and optical drive a day ago. Thanks Red for your help so far, I really appreciate it.

The case comes with extra holes for more than one type of motherboard so you have to look at your particular motherboard and place the standoffs appropriately. Make sure the 4 or 8 pin CPU power connector is plugged in on the motherboard and I don't mean the fan connector.

What motherboard are you using anyway? What is this copper wire thing? That seems odd.

I got the power supply to turn on, but only sometimes. The cpu fan spins now and the cpu gets hot, yet my motherboard still says I have a cpu problem according to my on-board leds. Also the motherboard does not beep. Also, I am not sure if my hard drive is running, I'll try it on a different system to make sure it works.

Mailpup, I found out that the copper wire was actually supposed to not be shown and be inside of the motherboard(not good). So I am using the motherboard that does not have that problem. Everything is connected and I have double checked. I have a BIOSTAR TA790GXB3 AM3 AMD 790GX ATX AMD Motherboard.

It's not the hard drive. Your system should turn on and post even without a hard drive installed. It would just stop and say no bootable device can be found or something to that effect.

Could you try running your system by setting it up outside the case on an antistatic surface? Don't use the case and see what happens. If it does work, there may be a short somewhere after putting the components in the case.

My ram requires 1.65-1.8v i think and I think most motherboards put the ram initially at 1.5v. Could this be the problem? I don't think it would change the fact that my motherboard's rapid debug leds say that there is an abnormal cpu/chipset error.

Tried it outside of case and I got the same results. Cpu fan spins, but on-board leds say there is a cpu/chipset problem, however cpu does get hot. I'm confused because if the processor heats up then it should be working, but this is my third motherboard and I doubt I have that much bad luck.

I tried using a different power supply as well and I got the same results. So it is pretty much either the cpu or motherboard. All of the fans run including the cpu fan and the cpu gets hot when the system is turned on. Anyone know what's wrong?

Since you've tried it outside the case we may be able to rule out the possibility of a short due to the case stand-offs.

Have you tried booting with only the CPU and a single module of RAM connected. See if it POSTs then and keep adding components one by one to see when the problem re-occurs.

Other than that it's a little weird. Any chance it's the CPU itself? Another thing, is your memory compatible wit the board? Check that in the Qualified Vendor List in the mobo manual.

I have tried that before with the cpu and one slot of ram in. Still no post and no beeps. I'll look in my motherboard manual

According to my motherboard manual my ram cannot be registered dimm or ECC dimm, but my ram isn't ECC and is unbuffered, so it passes those tests. Could it be possible that because my ram needs 1.65-1.85v and that most motherboards have a default of 1.5v that that could be the problem? If that's the case how can I manually change it? Also could my ram's timing be off?

Edit: I have new information for some reason my computer will only start with the 20 plus 4 pin main power connector and it won't start with the 4 pin 12v power connector for the cpu. The only way it turns on is if I put in the 20 plus 4 pin main connector in first and quickly turn it off and put in the 4 pin 12v cpu power connector. Could my psu be the reason my computer isn't posting? But as I have said before I have tried using the other power supply so that wouldn't make sense.

Could it be possible that because my ram needs 1.65-1.85v and that most motherboards have a default of 1.5v that that could be the problem? If that's the case how can I manually change it? Also could my ram's timing be off?

That shouldn't prevent your system from posting.

I have new information for some reason my computer will only start with the 20 plus 4 pin main power connector and it won't start with the 4 pin 12v power connector for the cpu. The only way it turns on is if I put in the 20 plus 4 pin main connector in first and quickly turn it off and put in the 4 pin 12v cpu power connector. Could my psu be the reason my computer isn't posting? But as I have said before I have tried using the other power supply so that wouldn't make sense.

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying. You need to have both the 20+4 pin connector and the 4 pin CPU connector plugged into the board.

Also, could you post the exact specs of your system.

The 4 pin connection is for CPU power, atleast from what I understand. The fans and everything else start to run (except maybe the hard drive, can't tell). Also when I say starting the computer I mean the parts are receiving power. If I plug in the 4 pin cpu power connection then the system won't receive power, but I have tested another PSU with the system and it worked with the 4 pin connection plugged in, but I got the same results, so even though the PSU might have gone bad it's not the main culprit for why my system won't post.

Specs:
AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX250OCGQBOX
BIOSTAR TA790GXB3 AM3 AMD 790GX ATX AMD Motherboard
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular LED Power Supply
SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Rosewill Blackbone Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
HP 24X Multiformat DVD Burner Black SATA Model 1270i LightScribe Support
HITACHI Deskstar HD31000 IDK/7K (0S00163) 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333G (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1333GB2G8-AG

All items are retail if that makes a difference

Another thing to add is that when I do luckily get everything powered up with the cpu power connection in is that when I shut off the power (because for some reason holding down the power button for a while doesn't shut it down) the on-board debug led's both come on saying the system is fine, but it just flashes before the power completely shuts off. I have so many troubleshooting issues. Also my cpu gets hot without the cpu power connector plugged in. Don't know what this means. Any help is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back