First time building a new gaming PC -- want to cut cost.

Right now, I'm looking at the following in terms of components for a gaming PC. Gaming and web surfing will probably be the only things I do with it. I might edit something here or there in Photoshop on rare occasions. I wanted to know if there were any significant compatibility errors or significant bottlenecks that might occur.
Now, I have a pretty bad situation here because I have no old parts whatsoever to speak of, since this is the first time I'm building a PC.

I want to be able to get the total cost of it down to $2000 or less, right now it's a few hundred over.
I do plan on gaming on the monitor below's native resolution, 1920x1200. Also, I have no problems with overclocking.

Also, I'd like to know if there are any ways that I can decrease the cost of components without sacrificing too much in terms of performance.

Note: All will be purchased on Newegg.

CPU: Intel i7 2500K (might overclock, not sure)
Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme P67
RAM: G-Skill Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3 2133
GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr II
Boot Drive: OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB
Store Drive: Caviar Black 1TB SATAIII
PSU: Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
CPU HSF: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Mouse: Logitech G500
Keyboard: Das Keyboard Professional Silent
Speakers: Logitech Z506
Webcam: Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000
Monitor: ASUS VW246H 24"
Burner: ASUS DRW-T4B1ST

Tell me what you think! Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

- Get a cheaper motherboard, you're probably not going to use a lot of its functions (i.e. dual, triple graphics cards)
- Get cheaper RAM, you won't notice the difference between 2133 and 1600Mhz when gaming/surfing
- Don't get a 1TB Caviar Black hard drive now, they're very expensive at the moment due to the flooding in Thailand. Try to use and old one if you can and buy it in a few months time
- The PSU is great, but the Corsair TX series are just as good and quite a bit cheaper. You only need about 600W for your system as it is, but if you plan on going SLI later 850W would be a good idea.
- Get a cheaper case, the HAF 932 is massive for only one graphics card and 1 HDD/SSD/DVD drive. If you like the look of the HAF series you can get the 922.

As for upgrades:
- Definitely invest in an aftermarket HSF, even with a cheap one you can OC the 2500K to 4.5Ghz easy.

slh28 had pretty much the same points to make as me. You might want to look and see if there is a cheaper GTX 560 TI with a reference heatsink. That should save you some money. As for an aftermarket heatsink, for an inexpensive but efficient one, I recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212+. For how inexpensive it is, it efficiently cools the i7 and i5 computers I have built for people.

- Don't get a 1TB Caviar Black hard drive now, they're very expensive at the moment due to the flooding in Thailand. Try to use and old one if you can and buy it in a few months time

I don't have a choice, unless I want to live entirely on an SSD for a number of months. I'm a gamer, so games will fill up that amount of space rather quickly.

- Get a cheaper case, the HAF 932 is massive for only one graphics card and 1 HDD/SSD/DVD drive. If you like the look of the HAF series you can get the 922.

Which would you recommend of the following?

-Antec 900
-Cooler Master HAF 922
-Cooler Master Storm Scout
-Other? (specify)

For the case I would say just get the one which you think looks the best. Performance wise those 3 cases you listed are all going to be pretty similar.

Back