First time building gaming PC, $1000-1400 budget

Hey, people, i want to build a gaming PC. So far, i don't know to much about computers. I need you guys to tell me what parts to buy, and i got a friend who can help me put the stuff together.

My budget lies around 1000-1400$. Include everything, from BASE, to i don't know xD. I got monitor, speakers,mouse, and stuff like that.
Also is it hard to build it ?
I wish my computer can last for at least 4 years. Im prepared to blow all the CASH xD ^^

Also friend of mine told me AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition, and the i7 are good ones, but idk which one to choose, and don't see this questions as i HAVE to choose one of these. Your free to suggest whatever processor you want
Or should i rebuild the computer i have right now, i can tell you the specs, but idk how to get all of them.
Please include if there is any command or any program i can use, to get my specs tell me so i can throw them in.

If u want me to add something just tell me ill be checking this thread alot when im not in school xD.
Thanks

Finally figured out how to get all the specs xD
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So should i UPGRADE instead or build a new pc from scratch ?

Computer:
Computer Type ACPI Multiprocessor PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack [ TRIAL VERSION ] -.- WTH it says trial, but lol i kno myself it's xp 2008, cd RIGHT here xD
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.5512
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name AMADI-4A1E1D3A9
User Name jeite
Logon Domain [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Date / Time 2010-09-30 / 16:29

Motherboard:
CPU Type DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E4300, 1800 MHz (9 x 200)
Motherboard Name MSI MS-7293VP (FSC OEM) (2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 2 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset VIA PT890
System Memory [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DIMM1: Qimonda 64T64000EU3SB2 512 MB DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)
DIMM2: Qimonda 64T64000EU3SB2 [ TRIAL VERSION ]
BIOS Type Award (05/28/07)
Communication Port Kommunikationsport (COM1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce G100 (512 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce G100
Monitor BenQ T221WA [22" LCD] (Z5705415026)

First, how old is your old computer?

Second, what do you want to do with this new build, i.e. gaming, video editing, media, etc?

We're going to assume you'll be running Windows 7 64, correct?

* A number of regular posters here should step up in an hour or two and you'll get great advice. By the way, once you see how it is done building a PC really isn't that hard to do.

Ill be running Windows 7 64 Bit i think, i can get my hands on any oper system no probs. I'd say my comp is 3-5 years old

I decided on the higher powered PSU keeping in mind that you might add a second HD 5870 in the near future.
Well...with the 6000 series coming out...
Am I wrong in saying that you can CF an HD5000 and HD6000?

Somewhat pointless, since both cards would throttle down to the performance of the weaker among the two. Besides, we don't know for sure whether that'd work in the first place.

The HD 5850 would be plenty for anything upto 1920x1080 IMHO (if you can live without too much AA at that resolution); I would also buy an XFX card if you're in North America for their fantastic warranty coverage.

Also, a higher-efficiency modular PSU would be better served at that price point; this would be one of the many I'd recommend instead of the over-recommended Corsair line of PSUs.

Lastly this kit is a better choice compared to the G.SKILL kit IMHO.

Back