First zero-day Windows 7 flaw published; not a great risk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Windows 7 has brought a lot to the table, not the least of which is improved security architecture that helps make it safer than previous versions. It isn't impenetrable though, and the first zero-day exploit for the new OS was discovered earlier this week.

A flaw buried inside the SMB protocol could cause a system lockup if a user attempts to browse shares on a "malicious" server. While the flaw is unpatched, there are already several methods posted on how to avoid it -- such as filtering the ports used by SMB, disabling file sharing, and not browsing shares on remote machines.

Keep in mind, the scope of this flaw is fairly limited. Most firewalls already block the standard ports used by SMB and Windows File Sharing, so users must physically trigger it, which will leave them open to a system lockup at most -- as opposed to system compromise. It is probably more of a concern to networks relying on Windows File Sharing, and potential outsiders causing havoc.

Either way, it doesn't do much to detract from the positive news surrounding Windows 7's debut.

Permalink to story.

Mmm indeed it doesn't, flash news was way worse.

This can be easily repaired, and we will probably see a soon enough security patch on next updates.

So you've got one on win 7> PLZ Give the team a break..

Windows 7 is by far the best OP system released to date!! & I'm sure all will be sorted in time :D

Bet you have wet farted once or twice: but did you POST it .COM {@v@}

Regards

Trev Newcastle...

Guest said:
So you've got one on win 7> PLZ Give the team a break..

Windows 7 is by far the best OP system released to date!! & I'm sure all will be sorted in time :D

Bet you have wet farted once or twice: but did you POST it .COM {@v@}

Regards

Trev Newcastle...

Dont see what you are complaing about, there is a flaw...this article describes the problem... and also say its not a big deal.

Still good to get a heads up on the issue, how small the problem now might be its stil worth a mention.

..Windows 7 kicks *** by the way.. :eek:)

Considering the potential flaws that it could have had, this is like a drip of water hitting them in the face. Easily wiped away with a towel or even their shirt sleeve. A system lock up? "OH NO I HAVE TO RESTART MY COMP- oh wait...hey that's not so bad. I just won't do that again."

A quick Patch Tuesday and you'd hardly have known this flaw ever existed. Bang up job MS! The OS has been out for a while and hardly any major flaws detected yet! Keep up the good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back