Five years later, the Apple Watch is an unyielding icon of design

mongeese

Staff
Why it matters: Imran Chaudhri is a former Apple designer that has a great deal to his name. He is signed as co-inventor with Steve Jobs on Apple’s original patent for the iPod, and the sole inventor listed on their first patent for touchscreen UI. The two technologies paired together would create the iPhone, but also spawned another lineage: playing around with an aftermarket watch strap for his iPod Nano, Chaudhri began prototyping a touchscreen Nano that could be worn as a watch more comfortably. Five years ago yesterday, that design launched as the Apple Watch.

Apple certainly wasn’t the first to market with a smartwatch, but the Apple Watch is a uniquely original product. Chaudhri, with (a lot of) help, effectively took a Walkman and turned it into a smartwatch over the course of his career at Apple. That career has now ended, sadly, because he left in 2017. There’s concern that the lineage the Apple Watch represents left with him. In less than those five years, it became the most popular wrist watch in the world, but its design has sat stagnant.

The Apple Watch has certainly become a much better product in that time, let that be clear. Battery life, the screen, functionality, all much improved through technological innovation. Apple has continued improving the internals and have sustained a perfectly suitable exterior and interface. But the absence of Chaudhri’s cheeky and clear-sighted perspective has been felt in the apparent purpose behind the product.

Chaudhri designed Digital Touch for the Apple Watch. The messaging feature sends animated symbols and sketches on all Apple devices. But it was most prominently marketed as enabling Apple Watch users to share their real-time heartbeats. Conceptually, Digital Touch is about alleviating the challenges of expressing emotion over text.

“Digital Touch was originally called E.T. for electronic touch,” Chaudhri said, and referenced the heart-warming fingertip scene in the film E.T. “I called it that for its potential as a new form of emotional connection.”

Of course, it doesn’t work. Digital Touch was unpopular and dropped off Apple’s radar years ago. But they shouldn’t have abandoned the idea. In the current crisis, it’s impossible to restrict emotional connections to in-person interactions as many people (including myself) like to do to avoid awkwardness. I’d take fewer hours of battery life to have more meaningful connections with people I can’t see face to face any day. That was Chaudhri’s goal.

On smaller scales, Chaudhri wasn’t afraid to throw out the old in favor of the new (which is something Apple has struggled with for years). The loop watchband, for example, “was an evolution of the velcro Speedmaster straps worn by Apollo astronauts.” He made only very small tweaks to an established product but made it both more practical and chic. Similarly, the solar watch face, which depicts the sun’s position in the day-night cycle, is little more than a portable sundial. But that’s very useful for Muslims observing Ramadan and photographers trying to optimize lighting, apparently. It’s also rather beautiful.

As an astute Twitter user noticed, Chaudhri isn’t wearing an Apple Watch in his Twitter profile image. That, and the fact he’s running a company trying to redesign UI to be more personal, makes me wonder if he feels, as I do, that the Apple Watch has become too mechanical. The focus of a device strapped to the wrist should be about being personal, but sadly, as the Apple Watch has grown without Chaudhri, Apple has placed less focus on the human element.

Image Credit: Daniel Cañibano

Permalink to story.

Applewatch has been a perfect product since Applewatch 2.

I bought the first applewatch, and loved having it as a pedometer and activity tracker, but I had two major problems with it:

#1 Battery life was way too short. One day simply isn't enough, especially when you factor in international flights to Asia. My battery would easily die in a flight to South Korea or Japan (13 Hours) or Dubai.

#2 Vagueness regarding the water resistance. Can I wash dishes with it on?
Can I swim with it on?

Those two issues were my only problems with it, but the battery life was my biggest issue.
I've had Applewatch 2 since I broke my original Applewatch helping my girlfriend move her couch. I haven't bought a new one since then, and I'll probably upgrade to the 6 this year so I get the benefits of the EKG and more accurate tracking as well as the larger display.

I wear it all the time and thanks to the rugged armor plastic shield, it's doing just fine and battery health is still good all these years later.

Last edited:
The thing so amazing about the Apple watch is how precision engineered it was to be an evolving product whilst still profitable.

Meanwhile, the competition tried to one-up apple with more features and gimmicks and got blown away.

The free market is ALWAYS right.

To everyone's dismay, after so many years on the market, in Ireland we still can get GPS-only iWatch. It's like the entire industry here came together and agreed not to care one bit.

This is why I never bought one, puzzled as to what is going on in this market.

Honestly It's an abomination of design and wouldn't touch it with a 10' barge pole. To see that same hideous form factor survive for so long and see so many iTards lap it up is appalling.

The Free market is always right.

2018: 46.2 million sales.

2017: 33.1 million.

2016: 12 million.

Buying an Apple product in no way makes a person an "itard" and I'm surprised Techspot tolerates insults of that nature.

To everyone's dismay, after so many years on the market, in Ireland we still can get GPS-only iWatch. It's like the entire industry here came together and agreed not to care one bit.

This is why I never bought one, puzzled as to what is going on in this market.

I never personally saw the need for the Cellular Apple watch considering my phone doesn't leave my person 99% of the time. I'm sure some people out there do want Cellular. Have you considered buying it from online and shipping it there?

Or will it work?

How can people be so tasteless? Apple watch with its "rounded" corners is bland at best. All of the rivals have better shapes and design.

Watch is a piece of jewellery for men, and I for one wouldn't be caught dead wearing a smartwatch.
To watch lovers, it's a status symbol also. What Apple smartwatch tells about you is that you have no taste, you are unable to understand what a watch represents and above all, you are an Apple user.

Oh, you wear it for convenience? Too lazy to get the phone out? Wow.

Watch is a piece of jewellery for men, and I for one wouldn't be caught dead wearing a smartwatch.
To watch lovers, it's a status symbol also. What Apple smartwatch tells about you is that you have no taste, you are unable to understand what a watch represents and above all, you are an Apple user.

lol, so high and mighty of you.

Edit: I wear both. Opinion is incredibly immature with no argumentative statements worth respecting.

That's one opinion. Here's another from someone who actually uses one:

My mom bought one for the fall detection as well as the convenience of always having it there. Why wouldn't you always have your phone there? Because women's clothes are ridiculous and frequently don't have pockets big enough to put a phone in. A smartwatch solves that annoyance quite easily. It's the right tool for the job.

And yes, she inadvertently tested the fall detection by slamming her fist on the counter (while talking on the phone to her brother, big surprise there...) and the watch immediately asked if she had fallen and started a countdown timer to call emergency services which she cancelled. Seems to be a pretty good feature.

The Apple Watch is the opposite of personal. At a time when fewer people are wearing watches in general, those who do choose watches that reflect their own style. The Apple Watch has no style; they are all essentially identical.

And unfortunately, even all these years later, the Apple Watch still isn't viable for a market it could instantly own: diving. Scuba computers cost a ton of money and only do one thing. The Apple Watch should have been diveworthy for the last two generations, but it STILL isn't. Another example of Apple failing to imagine what real people want to do with smart devices, and failing to take an obvious step to add a lot of value to a product.

Hey, buy one or don't buy one. Me, I held off and bought one about 1 1/2 years ago, but, I prefer a ROUND watch because I've always worn a ROUND watch. About 6 months ago, glad I did.
I started noticing my sleep cycle sucked and my resting heart rate at night, was jumping into the 80+ to 90 range while sleeping. Mentioned that to my doctor who suggested I might have sleep apnea. Did the study, sure enough. Now, resting heart rate at night, upper 50's, low 60's, sleep is much better, not tired during the day.

Iconic? Not remotely. I can list all the iconic, world-changing products Apple has made, and they need no explanation. iMac, iPod, iPhone, iPad (probably the weakest in this list) and AirPods. The fact the Apple Watch needed an article rules it out completely from being anywhere near an iconic design, and the fact the press is still heralding it as great years after they went mad and proclaimed it the next big thing (which never happened) is sad.

That's one opinion. Here's another from someone who actually uses one:

My mom bought one for the fall detection as well as the convenience of always having it there. Why wouldn't you always have your phone there? Because women's clothes are ridiculous and frequently don't have pockets big enough to put a phone in. A smartwatch solves that annoyance quite easily. It's the right tool for the job.

And yes, she inadvertently tested the fall detection by slamming her fist on the counter (while talking on the phone to her brother, big surprise there...) and the watch immediately asked if she had fallen and started a countdown timer to call emergency services which she cancelled. Seems to be a pretty good feature.

I was specific about watch for men. But since you mentioned it, I am more likely to find a man without a phone on person than a woman.

OK, I understand the bit about the watch for men but it is convenient for some men, too. However I'm amazed that you know of a person, man or woman, who doesn't have a phone!

...don't have a phone on them sometimes, not "don't have a phone period". I was amazed to read your comment
"Because women's clothes are ridiculous and frequently don't have pockets big enough to put a phone in "
I am yet to meet a women that didn't find at least a dozen solutions to that problem, one being - always have a phone in hand.
I don't carry my phone in a pocket either. I either have it in a man's bag, or I don't carry it.

PS. I understand that a lot of people wont agree with my OP, it's just that most younger people never thought about buying a real watch for >$2K and later be able to experience how ridiculous something like smartwatch is.

Last edited:
That’s incredibly ridiculous.

Advertising IS the Free Market at work.
...did you just miss the point of what you yourself said? If free market was always right(or in other words, people always bought the best product) then advertising would be unnecessary(and thus, wouldn't exist because then free market would be wrong).

...did you just miss the point of what you yourself said? If free market was always right(or in other words, people always bought the best product) then advertising would be unnecessary(and thus, wouldn't exist because then free market would be wrong).

"The best product" is whatever the free market determines is the "best product".

Products that aren't good, don't sell.

Not selling makes them go extinct because the companies behind them stop producing them as they cost more to produce than they earn in revenue or profit.

You really need to learn these economic basics before you try to argue them.

Back