Flash Drive

sylbar1

Hi Everyone!

I'm trying to put a Flash Drive into my desk top and nothing comes up, except a little icon on the bottom right of the taskbar telling me to I can Safely Remove Hardware!

I don't use Flash Drives and this is pretty much the first time...is there anything that's suppose to come up on the screen to walk me through this?

I want to put pictures on the Flash Drive and show them on another computer!

I'm able to upload music to my Mp3 player, and also upload pictures with no problem...I just can't get them on this Flash Drive!

It's a SanDisk Cruzer Glide 8 GB!

Can anyone help me?

Have you tried opening "Computer" or "My Computer" (depending on Windows version) and seeing if the flash drive shows up there? If so, double click on it to open it. It should be there if you get the icon in the taskbar.

Hi,

Sorry it's taken so long to answer, but was out of town!

I've tried opening my computer, and it's not there! Just has DVD/RW Drive (D:) and then for my Camera and my printer! Doesn't look like there's anything that resembles the Flash Drive!

Check "Disk Management" by some chance Windows is not assigning a drive letter. It looks as if Windows is detecting the drive but unless it has been properly setup, a drive letter may not show under "Computer" listings.

Control Panel >> All Control Panel Items >> Administrative Tools >> Computer Management >> Disk Management

Or for a shortcut type "Create and format hard disk partitions" in search.

OK, I went as far as Disk Management...not sure what to do next? Sorry not familiar with use of Flash Drives!

Do you see a volume listed that could be the Flash Drive?
Fake-Drive-Detected-In-Disk-Management_thumb.png

If you have a volume listed for the Flash Drive, but there is no drive letter associated with it, you will need to assign a letter. Right clicking the volume will give options that include changing (or assigning if necessary) drive letters.

If none of the above works, do you have another flashdrive you know works so you can see if it shows?

Sorry I'm trying to send you a screenshot of what it says, but can't seem to do it! Arrrg!

I do have another Flash Drive, and it does work...has some pics on it! Let me see what comes up with that one!

OK, with the other Flash Drive it shows pictures on it! Also it has a box that pops up (Removable Disk (E), and after going through the Control Panel, Administrative Tools...etc, it does show Disk 1 Removabvl(E) - Healthy, which it does not show with the other one! Oh Geez...now is shows Disk 1 Basic - Healthy, but not Removable!

Yikes, it didn't show this before...it showed 0

OK, with the other Flash Drive it shows pictures on it! Also it has a box that pops up (Removable Disk (E), and after going through the Control Panel, Administrative Tools...etc, it does show Disk 1 Removabvl(E) - Healthy, which it does not show with the other one! Oh Geez...now is shows Disk 1 Basic - Healthy, but not Removable!

Yikes, it didn't show this before...it showed 0

When I insert the new Flash Drive, it doesn't bring up any screen!...and I just deleted all my pictures from the other Flash Drive! That will tell you how much I know about Flash Drives!

Not sure what to do with this new one if it's not prompting me? Shows nothing...

If nobody else in here has any other suggestions, I'd suggest you return it & tell them it could be defective.

From the information you have given, I'd say the flash drive is dead.

Out of the 2 dozen flash drives I've had dealings with, I've not encountered a dead one yet. I wouldn't let a single bad drive discourage me from using them. I've even sent one of my drives through the washing machine and dryer by accident and it continued to work. However with that said I still wouldn't trust any media as a single storage solution. I'd still keep backups of data on the flash drive drive, just in case there ever is problems.

Thanks, I think we've just about tried everything, but it won't bring up any screen for me to work with! The other Flash Drive I have will pull up a box with different options and has Removable Disk (E) on top of it! This one does NOTHING! It probably is defective somehow!

Thanks Everyone for all your help...appreciate it :)

Thanks, I think we've just about tried everything, but it won't bring up any screen for me to work with! The other Flash Drive I have will pull up a box with different options and has Removable Disk (E) on top of it! This one does NOTHING! It probably is defective somehow!

Thanks Everyone for all your help...appreciate it :)

I would be the one that's not familiar with Flash Drives to get a defective one...lol Oh Well, I learned something!

OK, went out and exchanged the flash drive, and nothing comes up when I put this one in, but I do see it in my Computer under Devices with Removable Storage > Removable Disk (E) Someone had mentioned to right click it, but don't know what to do after that!

Sorry don't use Flash Drives at all, but I'm a fast learner...so not sure what to do next?

For starters, even thou you might know how many gb's it is, you can right click on it & in the drop down menu click on properties & you should see a pie chart showing how full/empty it is.
I've never had to format one from the beginning, but on that drop down menu,you also should see format. Good luck. :)

USB pie chart.JPG

Thats a pie chart of my USB flash drive

OK, I did the format, and saw the pie chart in Properties! I wonder why it doesn't just have the Options box come up, and it has to be formatted? My other Flash Drive, that I guess I used once, does have that box come on the screen and it's on the folders option!

Not sure what to do next?

Not all USB flash drives are made the same as I've found out. You might try putting some pics on it or use it for whatever you got it for. Hope all goes well for you. :)

The popup may be because there are files on the drive. If files are found on the drive Windows will prompt and ask what you want to do with them by giving options for opening.

OK, now when I insert the drive it opens up to a screen that contains

My Computer
My Documents
Shared Documents
My Network Places

When clicking on My Documents, I see My Pictures Icon > Double click, and they're all there! Now how do I get them on the Flash Drive! So sorry I'm putting you guys through this...I'm sure it's child's play!

You copy them and then paste them to the flash drive.

You can use the right click menu for the files to copy and paste where you want them to be or use "Ctrl+C" to copy and "Ctrl+V" to paste. Just remember "Ctrl+X" will move the file by deleting the original, I prefer "Ctrl+C" and then deleting the original manually later if that is what I want.

If the copy and paste option are not to your liking, you can use a drag and drop approach by opening two instances of Explorer. Two instances showing the source and destination at the same time.

Back