Flashing Amber Light... Ugh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with a Xion 600W power supply to power my NVidea video card. Recently, my computer just shut off with out warning. When I tried to turn it back on, I noticed a blinking amber light on the power button.

I unplugged everything, reseated all components (except CPU), removed all ram, unplugged HDD+Cd/Dvd ROM's, no luck. Replaced the CMOS Battery, no luck. Checked all USB ports for broken/bent pins, none.

I reassembled everything the way it was, no luck. The "inbound current" light is green on my MOBO indicating incoming power. However, the PSU fan will not kick, nor will any of the other fans/components.

I am at my wits end here, as I need my PC. Any other ideas would be appreciated. I think I may just need a new PSU.

Probably a power supply, but the 8400 is infamous for failed capacitors on the system board. Check every one of those little barrel-like electronics that stick up from the motherboard. Look for leaking brownish or rust-colored power, or swelling or swollen capacitors or bulging or rounded tops. If any of those things exist, it will cost you about $75 to have new ones installed.

If you were using a powerful video graphics card, or a lot of power hungry compoents, it could burn out the power supply. You can replace it yourself. Try some online stores like www.directron.com, and look for one from FSP Group, Sparkle, Antec, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling... or search for reviews.
You need at least 300 watts, but I would get one that is 500 watts or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back