Font size feedback

Something has definitely changed with the font - I thought I had accidentally zoomed my browser.

Julio has slightly increased the font size on the forum and news articles. I've seen a few posts about it in the front page news so I figure it's worth creating a thread to keep the feedback better organized (I've moved lawfer and LNCPapa's posts here). Please leave your comments and if you see someone asking about the font, please link them to this thread and/or report the post.

It's just Julio showing his old age,
You know he has to use the monitor with the biggest pixel density, and now this :D

Ah, wish I'd seen this earlier! :haha:

I spent about 20 mins trying to figure out what on earth I'd done this morning before doing the news! Explains why zooming in and then out made it bigger or smaller but not the same as before.

It is nicer on the eyes though, but I can't help but feel its too big. I suppose I could just counter-act that by zooming out one notch, but then its too small.. Oh well! :haha:

The size looks a little odd next to the sidebars and top bars though. Are these going to be changed to the new font and size as well, should feedback prove positive?

Overall I do think its an improvement though, its much easier on the eyes.

Yes please any feedback with the font size and line spacing is encouraged. Julio's been meaning to change the font size for some time and now we are experimenting with it, if you have any suggestions please feel free to let us know.

Thanks!

off the subject but

I wish the page width were under user control (aka resizible and thus reflowed to fit) rather than being such a huge fixed width.

Thank you, Per. Actually my desktop PC's monitors have a low pixel density, so I can see and read stuff without eye strain.

I'm glad a majority of you are liking the change in so little time. As with everything, it will take some time to get used to completely, up to the point where going back to the smaller font will appear overkill. For me it's been 24 hours and I'm already getting the feeling this is the natural font size for the site.

We are keeping an open mind and hope we can adjust other areas of the site accordingly so everything looks in place as we implement other changes in the near future.

Thanks for your feedback as always.

I was trying not to say anything to see if I'd get used to it but personally it's a little harder for me to read. It's almost like I'm trying to read block letters. It's hardest for me when reading a page of thread titles (the way I normally view the forums - updated threads since my last visit) like I'm reading something in all caps, but once I'm actually into a thread it's not so bad. I'll give it a little more time to see if my eyes/brain get accustomed to it.

Thank you, Per. Actually my desktop PC's monitors have a low pixel density, so I can see and read stuff without eye strain.
Ahh yes, that's what I meant, but alas didn't type ;)

I'm agreeing with LNCPapa, the fonts feel a little bit too big; it does kind of make it hard to read fast.
But then again it could be just a matter of getting used to it...
What font size was it before and what is it now?

It used to be all 13px and we are now at 14px. There is no middle ground :\
Now, the change is not set in stone, we are "live testing".

I believe LNCPapa's concern is more or less in line with what I've also found. Within threads the font appears to be OK. When looking at the list of threads in the individual forums, the font setting seems too aggressive, especially with unread active threads appearing in bold. We plan to make further adjustments.

I actually prefer the thread text size now I've had chance to read through threads on the forum. Its much easier on the eye. But the size of the thread titles when checking for new threads/posts (New Posts link on top menu bar) for example feels too big.

I think the fact new threads are bold just makes the effect of change feel even bigger than it is.

If you're referring to the lack of bold being used in the Active Topics list for new posts in those threads I agree.

Back