Forcing resolution without monitor, or fooling computer into thinking there is one

pioneerx01

I have made myself a complicated “KVM” switch between three computers, two monitors and two HDTV’s. It works exactly as it was designed, but it has an unforeseen side effect.

I have hotwired multiple standard HDMI splitters (the ones used on HDTV’s) to work as a switching devices between computers and monitors/TV’s. The side effect (because of the hotwired HDMI switches) is that every time I switch between computers, the computers that are not currently in use on monitors think that there is no monitor(s) connected to them. As a result they revert to their default resolution state (I think it is 640x480). When I switch back to the computer the resolution comes back up to 1080, but the any program that was open full screen no longer is full screen. Also anything that was on secondary monitor is shifted onto primary one.

Is there a way to “fool” or force the computer into thinking that there is a monitor(s) present even if there are non?

All computers are Windows 7 x64

Thanks

I doubt it. You would probably have to disable plug-and-play detection in Windows, which is a pretty fundamental feature. Ideally you would disable it only for the video system. Just a thought you might pursue.

I actually cannot see why a PC would default to a low resolution. Have you tried merely switching off a monitor before switching away from it?

Back