Ford's noise-canceling kennel calms dogs that are scared of fireworks

midian182

Staff member
Forward-looking: While most people look forward to the holidays, they can be a time of great stress for dogs and their owners, all because of fireworks. But Ford has created a kennel that could help canine companions by using noise-canceling technology.

The prototype kennel features the same tech found in headphones such as Sony’s WH-1000XM3 and Ford’s Edge and Fusion vehicles. It detects the explosive sound of fireworks though in-built microphones, omitting opposing frequencies from its internal speakers to reduce or eliminate the noise.

The doghouse is also packed with noise-absorbing materials, including high-density cork panels, anti-vibration risers, and soundproofed ventilation. There’s even an automatic sliding glass door on what is a very stylish-looking unit.

“We wondered how the technologies we use in our cars could help people in other situations. Making sure dogs and their owners could enjoy a stress-free New Year’s Eve seemed like the perfect application for our Active Noise Control system,” said Ford of Europe’s brand content manager, Lyn West, in a statement.

Ford emphasized that the kennel is just “a prototype for now,” and is part of its Interventions initiative, which uses automotive knowledge and tech to solve everyday problems. As the owner of a West Highland Terrier who is traumatized by the sound of fireworks, I’m hoping it becomes a real product.

No word on how much this kennel might cost when, or if, it arrives, but you can bet there will be countless dog lovers lining up to buy one, even if it is very expensive.

Permalink to story.

OPERA.jpg

Omitting emitted frequencies?
How about if we try "absorbing", as in "not allowing certain frequencies into the kennel's interior.

With that said, keep in mind dogs can hear in excess of 35 Khz, humans, and only the females, barely reach as high a 20 Khz.

Last edited:
I'm wondering just how difficult it would be to build something like this from scratch?

Waterproofed cork padding on walls (inside & out). Rubber (or other) vibration proof feet/risers, and a small pair of speakers hooked up to a noise-canceling system (like from a pair of noise-canceling headphones.)

I'd probably leave out the plexiglass door and florescent lighting though, but it's doable. :)

With that said, keep in mind dogs can hear in excess of 35 Khz, humans, and only the females, barely reach as high a 20 Khz.
I'd be interested in knowing if we create these frequencies through out each of our days. And what exactly it is that makes the sounds.

I'd be interested in knowing if we create these frequencies through out each of our days. And what exactly it is that makes the sounds.
Um, "bats in the belfry" for one.

Wiki says: "Bat call frequencies range from as low as 11 kHz to as high as 212 kHz"

This is pretty damned deep: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_echolocation

The interesting thing here is bat echo location calls actually extend into the long wave radio band.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longwave

Keep in mind AM radio starts @ 610 Khz

There is no such thing as a pure tone in nature. Everything which makes a sound creates a unique set of harmonics which identifies it for us. As a cheap and dirty example Middle C on a piano sounds far different from middle C on a guitar.

So, even sounds within our hearing range, can have upper harmonics extending above our hearing. "Octaves", (a doubling or halving of the fundamental frequency), being probably the most common.

This is pure speculation, but I'd venture to say a squeaky door hinge probably generates harmonics which extend above our hearing.

Last edited:
I was thinking more about sounds we create not other animals. Such as walking through leaves and opening doors as you suggested. Not as interested (although harmonics is interesting) in harmonics of sounds that we can hear ourselves. Curious as to how much noise we create just moving around and never hear it.

On average that would be about one night a month for fireworks. There are other noises though that your dog barks at every night. This could cancel out daily noises through out the whole year, not just the two firework holidays.

Back