Format drive E

veilreaper

Hello. recently I have been getting the Drive e needs to be formatted before it can be used. However, I have no drive e. there are no flash drives or sd cards plugged in, its a laptop so it has the normal c drive and the system d drive (ie 1 hard drive). I have no dvd drive as I have removed it because it has been causing problems. in disk management it has drive e there, but no name to it and it is in the raw format. any idea as to how to remove this nuisance?

Windows 7 32 bit pro
hp pavilion dv6700 laptop

Just format it, you shouldn't get further prompts. Then you can see if it's another partition on your main HDD or not.

The E partition might be a flash card reader (like for SD cards) It's typical for an operating system to report the reader as a empty disk, see if you can put a card in, it should show up as the E disk. In that case, you can just ignore the message, not sure why it keeps prompting you. Can you post a screenshot of the disk management window

Sorry its taken so long to respond, been swamped. the computer is at my moms so I will post a screen shot next time I am there. as to formatting it, I didn't want to click it on the off chance its some system partition or whatnot lol. the sd card sounds about right. I will try dropping one in. I will post back probably tomorrow. thanks for the replies

Open the disk manager and compare to the image attached
Notice Disk 0, 1, 2 are vertically aligned - - those are physical devices.
Disk 0 has partitions and they can have drive letters. This is my laptop and Dell created three partitions and only one has a drive letter C:

If your E: is on disk-0, then it is a partition and may have been a recovery area like mine.
Disk Management.jpg

So if it is a partition like that it is safe to format/erase? I will stop by her house tomorrow to compare to your picture

The C: Drive on disk-1 is the bootable OS

Anything else on Disk-0 is option (but sometimes useful)

Just to update, I have not been able to get it to pop up that message again so I suppose I will wait till it does. It does look similar to yours as well. But for now all is well. Thanks.

Back