Formating Toshiba Laptop Satellite L310

Status
Not open for further replies.
i failed to format my laptop which is Toshiba Satellite L310. the operating system is XP, 2GB RAM, 1.86GHz. when i start to format from the cd it gives me this messege
MAKE SURE ANY HARD DISK DRIVE ARE POWERED ON AND PROPERLY CONNECTED TO YOUR COMPUTER, AND THAT ANY DISK-REALTED HARDWARE CONFIGURATION IS CORRECT. THIS MAY INVOLVE RUNNING A MANUFACTURER -SUPPLIED DIAGNOSTIC OR SETUP PROGRAM.
SETUP CANNOT CONTINUE, TO QUIT SETUP, PRESS F3

Drivers-> Satellite L310 Drivers for Windows XP

I have found in most cases, it is best to Remove the Partition instead of formatting Windows.

In some Computer setups, users must press F6 during Windows setup to install the HardDrive controller for your computer.

Please try the removal of the Partition first

Also do you still have the original Motherboard Drivers disc? (which may have the HardDrive controllers on it)

Is this error happening after windows xp setup screen appears then loads files then gives you 3 options? 1: to setup XP press enter. 2:To repair XP press r. 3: To exit without installing XP press F3

Next question: Does the laptop have a SATA hard drive?

Please post back and let us know.

yes my hard disk is partitioned. and my motherboard drive is the original never formated before. so if the problem is the partition can u pls write for me the steps of how to remove the partition? but my other partition carries all my movies and i dont want to loose.

ok that can be a concern!

I usually state to users to backup first, but I understand that "movies" may take up a lot of Gigs.

During Windows setup, you will see a lot of writing on scree to setup Windows in the existing Partition or remove the Partition

There will be easy to follow steps to do this.

But !

It may be best to backup first, in case Windows installs fully wiping all Partitions in the process

yes the movies are 80gb.....i can back up if its necessary, but still it will show the messege when i want to format rite? i will back up now , but please help me hw to remove the partition. thanks Kimsland

Follow the bouncing ball (ok there's no bouncing ball!) Just follow the screen messages during Windows setup

Here's a good time to delete any non-wanted movies, gathered over the years too :)

By the way, I must sign off soon, will be back a bit later on.

Good luck :grinthumb

the issue is when i start to format my laptop (Toshiba Satellite L310) it asks me this messege

MAKE SURE ANY HARD DISK DRIVE ARE POWERED ON AND PROPERLY CONNECTED TO YOUR COMPUTER, AND THAT ANY DISK-REALTED HARDWARE CONFIGURATION IS CORRECT. THIS MAY INVOLVE RUNNING A MANUFACTURER -SUPPLIED DIAGNOSTIC OR SETUP PROGRAM.
SETUP CANNOT CONTINUE, TO QUIT SETUP, PRESS F3

i have partition, the second partition (New Volume E) carries 80GB Movies and i dont want to loose it...i just want to format the other partition so please give me the best advice and any other options. thanks my windows is XP Professional service 2002, my HDD is 160GB (Toshiba MK1646GSX) , RAM 1GB

Suggest you download/build an iso bootable CD of gparted here :

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

with which you can examine your partitions, be told if anything is wrong, delete, repair etc etc.
I would certainly want to start from 'is the partition structure perfectly ok?' before I did anything unrecoverable.

I think what may be going on is you have no OS, you are booting from an install CD, and at that point, your HDD cannot be seen. Now this may because it is SATA and you need to set a bios option to allow SATA to be accessed in an IDE mode. If this is the case, it will be just the same booting from gparted or UBCD, so sort that first, and probably find (then) that you can format and install fine from the XP disc.

Personally I use UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD) when it comes to reformating and accessing files.
You can get the ISO image here:http://www.ubcd4win.com/downloads.htm

Make sure you get the one for XP! Just pick one of the first mirrors you see at the top of the page. (I picked the CNET.com download)

Just burn the ISO image to a CDR and boot from that disk. Then everything you need is on the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back