Formatting my laptop

bigwat

Hi my Brother Has a acer travelmate 2480 and wants to know if it comes to formatting or reinstalling windows if their would be any special precautions to be taken or if their would be a need for him to get the drivers for various parts before.

We have formatted our desktop before but that seems a little different as it has no wifi,touch pad e.t.c as a laptop so any help or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi,
I don't usually like formatting hard disk if they have the factory preinstalled OS, i personally prefer doing a factory restore and for acer its alt + f10.
I would recommend that than formatting.

First, why your brother wanted to reformat his laptop? Is there anything happened?. If none, then, why should you reformat it? If too many files are loaded on the HDD, you can do a defragmentation instead of reformatting it.

well he is probably going to put in a new HDD which will need to reformat it any way, and the preinstalled one was aleady deleted to a newer.

And is thee any way to change the acer logo at startup(when laptop just boots up and show the boot controls)? like to a newer logo?
Thanks.

I would save all the drivers off to a flash memory stick/cd/ext hdd, with a program such as 'Double driver', or 'Driver Magician'. If you reinstall Windows on a new drive, you should be able to get all the correct drivers from your pc makers site, (Support/drivers), but some experience has shown that it's not always so easy, such as touchpad, webcam and card reader drivers, can sometimes be difficult to find again.
If you have them working now, and you are keeping the same type of O/S, then saving a copy of the drivers might save a lot of problems later.
http://download.cnet.com/Driver-Magician-Lite/3000-2242_4-10521270.html

Back