Former Cardinals employee sentenced to nearly four years in prison for Astros hack

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A little over a year ago, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Department of Justice found evidence that suggested executives with Major League Baseball’s St. Louis Cardinals had breached a network maintained by their longtime rivals, the Houston Astros.

On Monday, the Justice Department revealed that former Cardinals’ director of baseball development Christopher Correa had been sentenced to 46 months behind bars after pleading guilty in January to five counts of unauthorized access of a protected computer.

U.S. District Judge Lynn N. Hughes for the Southern District of Texas said Correa has made it harder for other baseball teams to live their lives (referring to the fact that teams will now need to have tighter security).

Correa reportedly apologized and attempted to describe his behavior as reckless but was corrected by the judge who said that he intentionally and knowingly committed the acts.

In addition to the prison sentence, Correa will be subject to two years of supervised release and must pay $279,038.65 in restitution to the Houston Astros.

Correa was employed by the St. Louis Cardinals from 2009 through July 2015 and became the director of baseball development in 2013. As part of that role, the Department of Justice said he provided analytical support to all areas of the Cardinals’ baseball operations.

Anyone interested in learning more about Correa’s activities should view the Department of Justice’s press release on the matter.

Image courtesy Julio Cortez, Associated Press

Permalink to story.

So he tried the Hilary defense but it didn't work........ I figure it won't work for me either but I'll try it. Well, at least Hilary wasn't handling important information like mlb scouting reports....

Judge: Are you a Clinton?

Correa: No.

Judge: Do you work for a Clinton?

Correa: No.

Judge: Guilty.

Back